Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard, touchpad, restart and update problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jroberson2005

Jroberson2005

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 11:36 AM

Have Toshiba Satellite L355-S7905 with Vista. Several days ago, my keyboard stopped working. Then followed my touchpad. My power light is also not working.

Keyboard works in Bios and at Startup brand screen. Have uninstalled and updated drivers for keyboard and touchpad. Checked Bios, everything is fine in there.

I redid the computer back to out of box settings. Still didn't work. The computer won't shut down properly when I restart. It will go black like it has shut down but I have to press the power button to completely turn it off and then press it again to get it back up. I flashed Bios and check boot order, nothing.

Now that I redid my computer. My updates hang after updating Windows update agent. I have let it check for updates for 27 hours and nothing. I installed IE9. Disabled firewall. Nothing.

The other day power went out and drained my battery until it went off. When starting it back up, keyboard worked again, and so did restart. After several hours, keyboard stopped working. I have taken battery out, and power plug and pressed power button for 30 secs and then replaced battery and turned it on. Still nothing.

So keyboard is not working, touchpad not working, power light is off even though computer is on, volume dial not working, but did after battery drained from loss of power. It's not restarting properly and checking for updates just hangs for over 27 hours now. Many problems all at once, can anyone help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jroberson2005

Jroberson2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 11:45 AM

Forgot to mention the updates worked when I redid it months ago finally after deleting Norton and norton's registry keys. It finally found the updates after six hours. That was in early March last time I recovered to out of box setting.

Edited by Jroberson2005, 30 July 2016 - 11:46 AM.

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,925 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 12:11 PM

This sounds like one of two possible faults.  The first is the CMOS battery for the BIOS.  That clue came from the working condition after a cold start(unplugged, not just turned off) that forced the unit into factory reset because the BIOS got scrambled.  The battery, keeps the clock running and the BIOS settings until power is returned.  The cell may even be dead, causing the slow down and eventual loss of peripheral devices and then complete halt of the processor when the voltage drops too low.  These random and unrelated faults are indicative of the CMOS battery failure.  The older Satellite units had the CMOS split into two different cells and in two different locations making it a pain to replace.  I don't know if that's one of those or not, a first look would tell.

#4 Jroberson2005

Jroberson2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 12:17 PM

I am pretty knowledgable with software, not so much with hardware lol. Can you tell me how I would look and find out? I get nervous when it comes to opening up laptops.

#5 Jroberson2005

Jroberson2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 03:39 PM

Well I finally fixed my updates. After hours of googling and reading, I found http://wu.krelay.de/en/ which lists patches to install. After installing all five, I checked for updates and it listed all of my updates after 10 mins.

Now to figure out my other problems.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 05:36 PM

For your possible battery problems have a look at this video - there are several more on Youtube. It will give you a good idea of what is involved in getting to the CMOS battery. I haven't looked at the video myself but some batteries are as accessible as remove a plate on the base of the laptop, others require a virtully complete stripdown.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users