Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP! Unable to delete a folder OMG

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NoobVista

NoobVista

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 09:58 AM

[CLOSED] reason: I was too stupid .__.

Hi guys, I have been trying for 3 hours and still unable to delete a particular outdated folder named "cyberghost 5".

It all started with my antivirus deleting a "unins000.msg" from the said folder 6 months ago. I ignored the message and carried on with my life. I had no use for the VPN and left it there.

This afternoon, I tried to uninstall the programme and it couldn't work because unins000.msg wasn't there. I didn't want to do a system restore because I had way too much downloaded studying materials and I couldn't keep track of the stuff.

Now, I ran a regedit and deleted the registries before I started on deleting the folder. STILL, i couldn't delete the folder from the programme file. it said, "You need permissions to perform this action". I crawled through pages of google search to find the solutions and even activated the UAC but all didn't work.  

Below are the screenshots.

I tried to give every user under security full control but it still couldn't work. It didn't change a single damn thing. I need your help cos it making me desperate and I am starting to doubt my intelligence and even my existence. 

If anybody has an existing copy of cyberghost 5 for me to install and uninstall, I would be very grateful. As of now, Cyberghost stops supporting cyberghost 5 and has come up with cyberghost 6.

PLEASE HELP me..

Edited by NoobVista, 30 July 2016 - 10:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:05 AM

I see no screenshots

There a few options available.

Reinstall the program and uninstall normally

Try deleting in Safe Mode

Use File Assassin to delete the folder. 

Boot a live linux disk to delete the folder outside of Windows. I can provide instructions if any of the above options do not work for you.

#3 NoobVista

NoobVista
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:08 AM

I see no screenshots

Boot a live linux disk to delete the folder outside of Windows. I can provide instructions if any of the above options do not work for you.

I don't know what information to screenshot... 

I don't have the installer anymore and I cannot find a link to download it.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:10 AM

Now, I ran a regedit and deleted the registries before I started on deleting the folder. STILL, i couldn't delete the folder from the programme file. it said, "You need permissions to perform this action". I crawled through pages of google search to find the solutions and even activated the UAC but all didn't work.

For when you are told you don't have access to certain folders, there is something you can try.

There is a registry hack which will allow you to take ownership. I've been using it for several years on various Windows 7 systems and now on Windows 10, although what I wanted to take ownership of has always simply said Access denied. Up to you whether to try it or not.

Details and download are here http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/ (while it has Vista in the URL it does work with other versions of Windows)

Download, unzip, then install.

Take ownership will be added to the right click context menu. Right click on the folder/file name, choose Take Ownership.

When chosen, the cmd will pop up and run. Depending on the folder it may take a while.

There are a few folders that will not allow access after taking ownership.

#5 NoobVista

NoobVista
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:23 AM

I see no screenshots

omg... I was acting like a smart alec until I forgot the single most simplest step.

I didn't try to restart my computer in safe mode until you reminded me. 

geez I need to get a grip of myself. 

Anyway, THANK YOU for take the time to help me. I'll still download file assassin to try out just in case there are other pesky programmes.

For when you are told you don't have access to certain folders, there is something you can try.

There is a registry hack which will allow you to take ownership. I've been using it for several years on various Windows 7 systems and now on Windows 10, although what I wanted to take ownership of has always simply said Access denied. Up to you whether to try it or not.

Details and download are here http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/ (while it has Vista in the URL it does work with other versions of Windows)

Download, unzip, then install.

Take ownership will be added to the right click context menu. Right click on the folder/file name, choose Take Ownership.

When chosen, the cmd will pop up and run. Depending on the folder it may take a while.

There are a few folders that will not allow access after taking ownership.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll download it just in case there are other annoying programmes to clear. Apologies for taking up your time though. 

Can somebody help me to close this thread? My query is answered.

Edited by NoobVista, 30 July 2016 - 10:25 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:36 AM

Threads are not normally closed in BC. Glad you were able to sort out the problem.

Edit: Because you were not able to delete the file in normal mode indicates there may be service running in the background. You can download AutoRuns and look for any service with the name of the program you tried to uninstall and uncheck the box next to the listing. If unchecking the box results in no problems you can delete the service by highlighting it and clicking on the Red X.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 July 2016 - 10:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users