Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Various BSoDs, no booting most of the time

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 miroe

miroe

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 08:57 AM

Ugh... To start at the beginning:
Few days ago during start up I experienced my first BSOD and it was INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. After few restarts system booted and I scheduled chkdsk /f /r (or the other way around, don't remember anymore), since that was what the internet told me to do. After another restart chkdsk picked up and promptly got stuck at 11%. Subsequent restarts

proved fruitless unless you count more BSODs, some times INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE and sometimes IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL with no further description. Eventually booting would stop at manufacturer's (Lenovo) logo. So I took the blasted thing to a technician.

The guy told me almost at the door it's probably my HD dying. He later said he run test on all hardware components but they all seemed fine. So he hit recovery button (I forgot to mention that I tried that too with no effect) and it worked...
So he recovered original W8.1 and upgraded it to W10. And that's what I payed him for in the end :/

At home I decided to make a clean install of W10 since I feel no love towards all the crap Lenovo puts in their laptops. Went fine, system worked without a hiccup for about a day and... BSOD on a startup. And refused to boot completely.

That's when I decided to come for hep here, but had no diagnostics to show and no prospect of getting them without Windows actually starting. Then I thought problem may be strictly W10 related, so I hit recovery and got W8.1 recovered. Their were some more BSODs during the process but eventually I was in. I downloaded  Sysnative BSOD Dump +

System File Collection App, made zip file, discovered Windows refuses to perform "permon /raport" because bleep me and started creating my post on this forum secure in knowledge that those crashes happen only on startup. I was just finishing my post and... BSOD. This time it was IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL related to mfehidk01.sys (only time it being so specific).  

Sooo... Some digging and I found out about bootable diagnostic tools. Checked RAM - all fine. Tried to run SeaTools for DOS - couldn't see my HD al all (my HD is SeaGate). I found some tools from Lenovo as well. Made them check everything with no error in sight.

And then system actually booted again. I quickly downloaded Sysnative app and copied zip to usb stick. Perfmon /report kept screaming "you're not my supervisor!!!" so I backed off. System still refrained from crushing so I downloaded SeaTools for Windows and put it on Fix All Long scan. No errors. Test passed.

As of this moment Windows is on but I don't know for how long or if it will work when I try to turn on system next time. Any help will be appreciated.

Info:

OS - Windows 8.1, previously 10
· x64
· original installed OS on system - Windows 8.1 with all the crap Lenovo could think of
· 8.1 per-installed, later upgraded to 10, recovered to 8.1........
· Age of system - about 2 years
· Age of OS installation - right now - 5 hours, before all that trouble - clean install of W10 few weeks ago

· CPU - Intel Core i5-4200M 2.5 GHz
· Video Card - dual: Intel HD 4600 and AMD Radeon HD 8570M

· System Manufacturer - Lenovo G510 20238
· Exact model number G510 20238

· Laptop

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 05:08 AM

I personally have not faith in Lenovo diagnostics. 

I have a Y700 that shows a bad Intel video card.

Yet the system works just fine even with the latest games.

Posts on the web suggest that this is a problem with the Lenovo diagnostics - but they haven't been fixed yet.

Run Seatools for Windows while you're able to get into Windows.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 79CN49WW(V3.08)) dates from 2014.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and that outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Only 31 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most systems have 180 or more.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available updates (it may take several trips to get them all).
Don't worry about the specific number, it's just important that you have checked and installed any updates that were available (and didn't experience any errors).

Not much else noticeably wrong with the system.
In most cases, this is usually a sign of a hardware problem - but that's uncertain in your case for 2 reasons:

- the age of the installation isn't very old, so there hasn't been a chance for all the error reports to run.

- the system doesn't have all the necessary Windows Updates.

There are no memory dumps (from the BSOD's) in the uploaded reports, so all I can do is suggest running the following diagnostics (when/if you can get into Windows):  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Beyond that, we have to wait and see if the system will collect any memory dumps for us (usually located in C:\Windows\Minidump)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 miroe

miroe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 05:51 AM

First of all, thank you for your answer and help.

Since creating this topic Windows actually boots reliably and I haven't seen any new BSoDs. I was even able to make a clean install of W10 and it works fine. Although it is not the first time it seemed OK just to go Sean Bean on me. It's current good condition might be just a fluke.

On the other hand, I was able to get perfmon report this time, so I'm attaching it with new Sysnative zip.

Also, small number of updates could have come from the fact I run the Sysnative app right after recovering W8.1 from recovery partition without waiting for updates. It may look differently now.

I've already run the diagnostics you mentioned including SeaTools for Windows with no errors reported. SeaTools for Dos on the other hand couldn't see my HD.

According to Lenovo website their were no UEFI/BIOS updates for my system since 2014 and I still fear sudden crashes so I'll have to pass on that.

I can't find 'C:\Windows\Minidump' folder. Any other way to collect those dumps?

Any thoughts?

Attached Files

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 07:34 AM

No new BSOD's = good news!

I'm not worried about the updates - as long as you've checked for them, got all that are available, and didn't experience any unresolved errors in updating.

Most often the Seatools for DOS not seeing your hard drive is due to the AHCI settings on your system (there is another reason, but I haven't found that one out yet).

It's easiest to do it in Windows rather than changing settings in the BIOS - that's why I suggest that.

The Minidump directory is created when the minidumps are generated - so we just wait and see if there are any further BSOD's.

If there are, then check for the directory to see if there's anything in it.

In most cases I don't troubleshoot failure to create minidumps - as other reports are used and generally they help to solve the problems.

I notice that you are using CCleaner.  It can delete the memory dumps.  Please stop using CCleaner while we're troubleshooting the system.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 miroe

miroe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:01 AM

I installed CCleaner mostly for easier access to disabling startup on stuff like OneDrive and others (probably could do it through Windows but I got used to this way of doing it). I'll keep what you've said in mind.

One concern I have is the fact that after previous BSoDs it was usually imposable to boot Windows without recovering from recovery partition and that means wiping down everything, including any dumps. I don't know if I'll be able to produce any in case of problem persisting. IDK, maybe I'll look for some bootable Linux .iso or sth.

In any case, am I right to assume it is most probably HD problem? Also, if I have to replace it does it mean I need to get new license for Windows?

Again, thank you very much for all the help. Also, the whole website is an amazing resource for noobs like me.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 05:05 AM

If you can't recover without wiping and starting over - then that's a real problem!

As for it being a hard drive problem - we really don't know at this point.  If it was a hard drive problem, I'd imagine that you wouldn't be able to use the recovery partition.

Start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

As for licenses, you probably have licenses for 8.1 and for W10

I would use a product key recovery tool and recover your key to W8.1 now (I presume that you're still using 8.1)

Then, once you update to W10, your system should be automatically recognized and activated by the Microsoft servers.

At that point, use a product key recovery tool to recover your key to W10

How technically proficient are you?  Are you able to open up the case and check the hard drive?  If uncertain, don't attempt it!

If so, make sure that it is unplugged from the AC adapter and remove the external battery (If so equipped)

Then check to make sure that the hard drive is firmly seated and firmly mounted to the chassis (so it doesn't move around).

Check connections and cables (that you can see) to make sure that they're not frayed and are firmely seated in their connectors.

#7 miroe

miroe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:58 AM

As for it being a hard drive problem - we really don't know at this point.  If it was a hard drive problem, I'd imagine that you wouldn't be able to use the recovery partition.

I mentioned it only briefly, but at the beginning of trouble I couldn't use recovery partition as well. Later on I could without any apparent reason for the change.

And I've run all the diagnostic mentioned here, no errors found.

I would use a product key recovery tool and recover your key to W8.1 now (I presume that you're still using 8.1)

Then, once you update to W10, your system should be automatically recognized and activated by the Microsoft servers.

At that point, use a product key recovery tool to recover your key to W10

I had some experience with those tools in the past but as I was checking several, they would give me different sequences, therefore I assumed they are rather some sort of random number generators. Any knowledge of a reliable one?

Then check to make sure that the hard drive is firmly seated and firmly mounted to the chassis (so it doesn't move around).

Check connections and cables (that you can see) to make sure that they're not frayed and are firmely seated in their connectors.

Did so, as far as I could. I couldn't find anything wrong.

For about two days now everything is running smoothly. Still, I don't know if it will stay this way and I'm anxious it may hit me with the Blue at any moment. That's why I'd like to pinpoint the problem if that's possible over internet, since I'm rather convinced that technicians in my area would be of no help at all.

Wild guess time: is it possible that running 'Fix All' long scan on SeaTools for Windows fixed the problem without informing me about it? 

Edited by miroe, 01 August 2016 - 08:58 AM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:42 AM

I use several:

- Magical JellyBean KeyFinder:  https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

- Nirsoft ProduKey: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

- Different system spec tools (Speccy, Belarc Advisor, etc)

There are also ways to extract W8/8.1/10 keys from the BIOS - but I don't have that link here (it's at work).

If you ran the Fix All scan - it could very well have fixed a problem with the disk.

BUT, keep an eye on it.  I've known for fixes like this to only be temporary (usually a sign of a problem with the disk).

Unfortunately there's no program that'll tell you if the problem is fixed or not.
Only time will tell.  In my experience if you go a week without the problem, that's a good sign.  If go 2 weeks, then it's most likely fixed.

But that's only a guesstimate.  Good luck!

#9 miroe

miroe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 12:03 PM

Well, nothing else to do then wait then.

Again, thanks for all the help and good luck to you as well :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users