Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Atx motherboard in old at case?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 BM_2000

BM_2000

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 08:36 AM

I have an old at case which I really love. I want to reuse it for a new build. The back I/o panel pops off of this case but isn't quite the right size so I would have to mod a tad. I know for a fact that I would have to mod the mounting holes for the psu as the pattern is diffrent. Also I know the power button would have to be redone(no problem) I was wondering if anyone has ever done this or heard of any one who has. Iv heard of baby at in atx cases so this seems possible. I know I could just buy a case but this presents a wanted challenge.

Edited by hamluis, 30 July 2016 - 01:12 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 02:41 PM

ATX board probably won't fit on baby AT case. Micro ATX board probably fits. So first you should measure if ATX or micro ATX size motherboard fits on that case. If not, then you have huge modding project in your hands as case must be made bigger. If yes, then there are no major obstacles. If huge amount of work is not one :grinner:

As you need to mod some space for PSU (PSU can be up or bottom), make mounting holes for motherboard, make slots for HDD/SSD/DVD etc.

#3 BM_2000

BM_2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 03:17 PM

ATX board probably won't fit on baby AT case. Micro ATX board probably fits. So first you should measure if ATX or micro ATX size motherboard fits on that case. If not, then you have huge modding project in your hands as case must be made bigger. If yes, then there are no major obstacles. If huge amount of work is not one :grinner:

As you need to mod some space for PSU (PSU can be up or bottom), make mounting holes for motherboard, make slots for HDD/SSD/DVD etc.

Yea that would be way to much work. At that point its not worth it. For the psu an atx one fits I would just neeed to drill new mounting holes as the curreny don't line up.Iv taken the mobo out once and tried an old micro atx one and it appeared to fit the mounts just didn't line up. I don't have a full size atx so I can't test. I will try to measure when I get a chance. The hardrive and optical mounts should be fine. Only problem is I'm not really sure if it is at or baby at. Iv researched and can't really find it. The mobo has 8 expansion slots all the external connectors on cables(has no keyboard connector(but has ps/2 soddered to mobo)), at psu and power button, and overlaps drive bays. I know it makes a big diffrence though.

Edited by hamluis, 30 July 2016 - 04:03 PM.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 11:35 AM

It might be OEM machine case. Those did not always follow any standards. It might also be server case, again, not necessarily following any standards. For motherboard mounts, you have to make new ones as ATX requires different placements than earlier standards.

#5 BM_2000

BM_2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 06:21 PM

It might be OEM machine case. Those did not always follow any standards. It might also be server case, again, not necessarily following any standards. For motherboard mounts, you have to make new ones as ATX requires different placements than earlier standards.

It is both, its an oem, ehich was used as a server and sounds likebit was built for one. If I do decide to do this I would replace the mounts. I was just wondering if their is any other big problems I seem to be overlooking

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:30 AM

Possible problems that come in mind:

- Not enough space for motherboard

- No mounts for PSU/MB/drives

- Back panel plate must be "custom made"

- Power button, front panel connectors etc

- Not enough width on case (so it blocks CPU coolers and such)

- Not enough fan mounts

- Case interior blocking some pars

Many of those problem can be modded away .Computer case is basically meant to protect computer parts and make it easier to transfer it around. I cannot figure out anything that really prevents using new parts on old case in case you are able to do mods.

#7 BM_2000

BM_2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:31 AM

Possible problems that come in mind:

- Not enough space for motherboard
- No mounts for PSU/MB/drives
- Back panel plate must be "custom made"
- Power button, front panel connectors etc
- Not enough width on case (so it blocks CPU coolers and such)
- Not enough fan mounts
- Case interior blocking some pars

Many of those problem can be modded away .Computer case is basically meant to protect computer parts and make it easier to transfer it around. I cannot figure out anything that really prevents using new parts on old case in case you are able to do mods.

Thanks(sorry for basically repeating myself) anyways, not enough space for the motherboard, cuatom i/o plate,not enough width, and interior blocking some parts are my only concern. I can easily wire up a switch(I belive), this pc has bo front connectors so id add them in a 5.25" or 3.5" as it has have 3 of each. Also a fan can be put inbthe front and rear and as it has 8 expansion slots one could be used for a fan there(if needed). I wasn't worried about cooling as the case is huge but it may not be once newer hardware is installed. When I measure for the motherboard ill measure depth. Hardrives and expansion drives are standard and their is 3 or 4 for 3.5" drives none for 2.5" but plenty of room for a bracket to mount them

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:47 AM

Expansion slots, those I forgot. You may have to adjust placement if you cannot place motherboard to "fit" them.

Sounds like no major problems. Interior size may become one. In the end. you must have enough space inside case to do all modding. Other than that, rest depends on how much you are willing to mod.

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:52 AM

I will throw in a thought.....in the modding of the case (depending on what you want to do) be very careful when altering the physical framework structure; it is surprisingly easy to force the case out of plumb and level, and if that happens you will have a devil of a time getting the side panels to re-attach properly. Been there, done that.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#10 BM_2000

BM_2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:58 AM

I will throw in a thought.....in the modding of the case (depending on what you want to do) be very careful when altering the physical framework structure; it is surprisingly easy to force the case out of plumb and level, and if that happens you will have a devil of a time getting the side panels to re-attach properly. Been there, done that.

Never thought of that. This case doesn't have side panels but the entire outside shell is one piece with a sturdy internal frame. I wasn't planning on having to do that much modding but definitly somethingnto keep in mind

#11 BM_2000

BM_2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:00 AM

Expansion slots, those I forgot. You may have to adjust placement if you cannot place motherboard to "fit" them.

Sounds like no major problems. Interior size may become one. In the end. you must have enough space inside case to do all modding. Other than that, rest depends on how much you are willing to mod.

Yea its just such a pain to disasemble this case and take everything out multiple times. Yea that was my worry with the expansion and I/o placment. Id really have to see. Wish I had an old atx board to shive in to see.

#12 BM_2000

BM_2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:16 AM

Well I got some mesurments. The current board is 8.5 inches high by 13 inches wide. The clearence from top of current mobo to edge of case(cpu cooler depth)is 6 inches. A new board in the case that would not overlap any drive bays could be a maximum of >8 tall(height) and 14.5 wide. If overlap is needed a max of 11 tall(height) and 14.5 wide. The current I/o panel is 5 inches tall by 1.75 wide

#13 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 03:15 PM

That's Baby AT motherboard then. Micro ATX is 9.6*9.6 inches, so there will be difficulties. You probably have to mod drive bay too as board is too tall.

ATX board IO Shield is 6.25*1.75 inches. So space for IO shield also requires modding.

#14 BM_2000

BM_2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 05:27 PM

That's Baby AT motherboard then. Micro ATX is 9.6*9.6 inches, so there will be difficulties. You probably have to mod drive bay too as board is too tall.

ATX board IO Shield is 6.25*1.75 inches. So space for IO shield also requires modding.

The board may fit withour moding. There is a hd bay below the psu whixh would overlap the mobo and I may actually have enough room, probaly not though. The I/o also I prob can't mod it as if I go to low I'm in the expansion slots and to high maybe psu(but maybe withour that bracket). This is upsetting as sounds like a no go. I could go matx but I already have an old dell case id use for that. I like having a full 7 expansions. Ill try to see if without that bay if it would fit without overlap. I honestly forgot if I measured with the no overlap to the bottom of the psu or behind it.(hopfully to bottom)

#15 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 04:15 AM

IO shield is not mandatory but helps a lot. I'm also predicting that IO shield and expansion slots are hardest to mod in this project as they have to be at certain places and might require some effort. Removing bay sounds like good idea, AT cases have many problems with drive bays. They quite many times block CPU cooler if CPU socket is too middle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users