Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brother Printer: HL-L2340dw

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 908 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 06:38 AM

Hello. My hard drive died. I'm trying to set up my printer on the new hard drive. It recognizes the computer but when I go to add a printer and search for the driver the model does not appear in the options. I downloaded the driver but it won't install. There's probably an easy solution. What is it?

Thanks.

Windows 7 64 bit

Brother Printer HL-L2340dw

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 04:08 PM

Are you following the Brother instructions for setting up the printer?

Louis

#3 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 908 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 04:42 PM

Yes. It's been working fine then my harddrive died and it wont connect. In fact, it can't connect to the same LAN it's been working well on for months.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 05:57 PM

If your hard drive died and you put a new one in then you have to re-install the printer driver software. Now the point Hamluis was trying to make is that printers are notoriously fussy when it come to the installation sequence. They are one of the few areas where i always look at the Quick-start Guide first !  If you no longer have the install guide you can download it from here -

http://support.brother.com/g/b/manualtop.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=hll2340dw_us_eu_as

Installing the drivers, at the correct point in the sequence, should be no harder than merely running the .EXE file or the 'set up' file. Download the Win 7 drivers from the Brother web-site and save them somewhere convenient, your downloads folder will do fine. Then when you are ready to install them press the Win key + X. this brings up the 'Run' command panel. Browse to wherever the driver installer is, select it, click 'Open', click 'Run' and that should be it. then finish off any remaining steps in the install sequence.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away on holiday until the 13th May. While I expect to have internet access my time on-line may well be limited and PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal.

#5 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 908 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 07:58 PM

Thanks.

I downloaded the Brother driver. I went to downloads and it required me to unzip the file. But, then I could not find the installation file. I had expectedi it to automactally  run but it did not.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 05 August 2016 - 06:08 PM

Sorry, I missed getting back on this one.

If it's a.ZIP file, or any other similar file such as .RAR, it needs to be unzipped. If you don't have a ZIP utitlity you could get 7-Zip. It's a free download and it's the one I use myself. Just google 7-zip. Open it and navigate to the compressed file in the 7-zip window, select the file by clicking on it then clcik on the 'Extract' button - a thick blie line - on the toolbar. It will ask you where you want it to extract the contents to. Yoou can create a new folder just for this or choose 'Here' if your drivers file is already in a separate folder.

Once it is extracted you should find the driver is an .EXE file which will then run, or if it a large driver package there may be a 'setup.exe' file to run instead.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away on holiday until the 13th May. While I expect to have internet access my time on-line may well be limited and PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users