Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows won't boot, recovery mode won't run sfc

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 JoshuaM

JoshuaM

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 03:14 AM

So I was in my new user profile and google chrome froze and everything else was seemingly working. I could move my pen on my tablet. However, I couldn't close chrome or start task manager. Didn't think to go to start menu and click restart. Pushed power button. Upon restart, Windows wouldn't load, and startup repair would not fix the boot issue even with the disc. It gave an option for a restore point which I tried to do, but said I need to do sfc which I scheduled a long time ago. I ran it and it said it did something with some files and I think it said it needed to restart but didn't give me an option. I think I just clicked finish and recovery mode only said again I need to do sfc and was still showing restore underneath. So I cancelled and restarted somehow. But then it erased the system restore point and nothing changed. But I can go into recovery mode and it reflects the different user profiles exist: all 4. I can see the directory of files in the command prompt. But I cannot even run sfc scannow from administrator account in command prompt. I can compare kernel file to boot directory but not run "scannow" nor boot to Windows or repair startup. Supposedly earlier sfc fixed corrupt files. How can I get this to boot and access these files? I just ordered a new system so I can transfer my needed files before my old system is unusable.
Btw it is vista

Edited by JoshuaM, 31 July 2016 - 02:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JoshuaM

JoshuaM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 02:47 PM

Should I try this? http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/9821-63-windows-start-startup-repair

#3 browniebrownie141

browniebrownie141

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 03:50 AM

First of all, do you think you can complete the System Restore? I mean, let's leave the sfc_scannow for a moment. We can always go back later. 

The restore point is simply a date the the system first suggest to you, but you can always change to a earlier date, if you want to. I would pick a earlier date, just to be safe.  

If, you can, do the System Restore. Let's see if this alone can solve.

Second, I am a little concern when you said "it reflects the different user profiles exist: all 4"....go to "my computer, click Properties, C:drive, it should says who are the "users"...usually, there are system, Administrator (= You), and User (sometimes, you also listed as user), ....I am a little concern that there are unauthorized user accessed yr computer, ie, hackers.

If that's the case, you should delete any users you do not feel safe. 

After that, download these 2 and run it: (the root-kill will kill stop any back door re-entry; & the other one will help you to scan and clean up. When doing the malwarebytes scan, it is more effectively if you run the scan in safe mode. and run the complete scan, not quick scan. A complete scan will takes hours, but  it is thorough.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/

Hope it helps, and other viewers can jump in and helps

#4 JoshuaM

JoshuaM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:40 AM

No, upon the restart after first sfc, system restore points were erased and Windows won't boot.

#5 browniebrownie141

browniebrownie141

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 11:40 PM

Start tapping the F8 key ( some computer may use F3, or F7 or F11) when you power ON yr computer, I am trying to get you to boot menu.

Select start Windows "with last known good configuration", if successful, once the Windows load up, at yr desk top, then press microsoft button on yr lower left hand corner, type system restore, it may takes a few minutes for the system restore screen to pop up, then follow step by step, select a earlier date for restore point, a week may be good enough.

See if it lets you to complete the Restore. 

If not, do the above step just 1 more time, but this time, select starts Windows with SAFE MODE. and try complete System Restore. 

If you are able to complete, then, still got to the pages link I mentioned above.

#6 JoshuaM

JoshuaM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 12:28 AM

As I mentioned, there are no restore points. It removed all of them following the restart after sfc. It will not boot into safe mode or any other mode. I tried "last known configuration" before posting anything here actually, but it also froze on a black screen with the light on. For safe mode, it freezes on loading files. I also tried running debug, which makes it restart and say hard disk failure is likely. I read in some cases there are some errors, but I can't disconnect DVD drive nor install Windows without clean install. Update is disabled. I try to post as I want to see if there is a workaround since I can only basically enter bios and enter repair mode in which i can enter a command prompt. Right now it looks to me like I need to remove the hard drive and try to extract the files to another system.

#7 browniebrownie141

browniebrownie141

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:28 AM

Can you please tell me which brand and model your computer is? Let me try to locate the hidden partition....

Most of the manufacturer DO have a hidden partition built in, usually is a recovery console, it offers several options such as self repair for Windows, in some cases may let you copy/ back up files you want to rescue; often it also includes a option: wipe out existing windows and ALL files and reload Windows back to original manufacturer fresh out from the factory. 

Also, if you can tell us what happened right before....ie, were you on internet can got virus? installed a new software/ hardware? Upgraded to Windows 10 or any other "actions" you did, that may help to solve the problem....

#8 browniebrownie141

browniebrownie141

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:31 AM

Was there any blue screen of death before? If so, usually there must be code such as:

0 x 00000124

0 x 00000000

0 x 00000800

Something like that....the first one is the most important one, as it tells you what triggered the BSOD, ...

#9 browniebrownie141

browniebrownie141

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:17 AM

I found these :

CHKDSK is a function either can be performed at command prompt or DOS level, please notice there are "spaces" between, and the R, means repair. It will takes long time, perhpas 3 hours,...but given you can't boot up the Windows, this worth the shot. 

chkdsk /f /r
Hit Enter

( Spaces between C and /   k and /  and f and / )

Retry Startup Repair after Chkdsk.

If needed after those you can retry System Restore from the Recovery or Vista disk.

How to Do a System Restore in Vista
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76905-system-restore-how.html

Or from the Command Prompt :

C:\Windows\System32\rstrui.exe

Also: If it is related to Boots manager: 

Unable to boot in windows vista- windows boot configuration data file is missing required information -

Repair Corrupt Boot Manager
http://www.troublefixers.com/unable-to-boot-in-windows-vista-windows-boot-configuration-data-file-is-missing-required-information/

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair
startup issues in Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

How to fix "BOOTMGR is missing" in Windows Vista 
http://cyberst0rm.blogspot.com/2007/04/how-to-fix-bootmgr-is-missing-in.html

Error message when you start Windows Vista: "The Windows Boot Configuration Data file is missing
required information" 
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927391

Vista Tip: Repair "BOOTMGR is missing" error - a quick how to
http://lifehacker.com/251733/vista-tip--repair-bootmgr-is-missing-error

See this section here - To repair/rebuild the Boot Config Data Use the Bootrec.exe Tool
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/163304-dual-boot-using-free-partitioning-software.html

Also, IF it is related to Registry issues: 

OXC000014C

Computer wont boot up and says regsetry file is missing or corrupt

File:Windows\system 32\config\system. Status: OXC000014C Regestry file missing or corrupt."

Try this free download worked for me

http://www.forum.probz.net/index.php?/files/file/21-windows-vista-recovery-environment-iso/

on seperate computer Download and then burn to blank cd

Insert newly created CD backup into problematic computer then Alt, ctrl, del

causing restart follow prompts till it asks for "full instal or repair"

Click "REPAIR"

Computer will need restart after repair is complete.

If all these can't help, ....go to: 

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/performance?tab=Threads

It's microsoft.com own's forum, post yr questions and provide as much info as possible, they have reps from ms and can guide you to specific command path at DOS level,...

Hope it helps, 

#10 JoshuaM

JoshuaM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 11:36 AM

No blue screen of death. Can another person read this too? Chkdsk says drive must be dismounted and open handles will be invalid. I am hesitant to do that.. It says it is ntfs and one of the commands must lock and it is in use...

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 12:53 PM

What is the make and model of the computer? 

Because you ordered a new system, if you are able to pull your personal data from the hard drive and copy to a USB external hard drive would you be willing to doing a factory reset if the recovery partition was still intact?

You can pull your data using a live linux disk. I can give instructions if interested. Or you can attach the drive to your new computer using an enclosure or USB adapter.

Vista is no longer going to be supported with Security Updates after  April 2017.

#12 JoshuaM

JoshuaM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:04 PM

It is Sony vgn-fe890. Right now trying chkdsk since reading that reply, I put "c:" afterwards running from x. It is at 81 percent. My thought up until now since yesterday has been to get the enclosure. I don't know how that works when plugging into a Windows 10 system. Original plan (before crash) was to simply copy needed files and install them.

#13 JoshuaM

JoshuaM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:06 PM

What will factory reset do? Basically I need the new system anyways since hard drive is too small. But it has been warning of possible hard drive failure for at least a week.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:16 PM

If the computer has been warning you about a hard drive failure then doing a chkdsk on the drive may make things worse but do not stop chkdsk at this point or you will have problems.

A factory reset will take it back to the point you received the computer. All programs and data added after purchase will be wiped. That is why you need to pull the data first. I would make this a top priority if you had a failing hard drive warning. Attaching the drive to a Windows 10 computer shouldn't be a problem. You may to take ownership of the drive but that is not difficult to do. 

Because you have been getting a hard drive failure warning I wouldn't even attempt to do a factory reset. If you want to salvage the computer, purchase a new drive and install a linux distro on the computer. The linux distro you choose would depend on your CPU and RAM installed.

#15 JoshuaM

JoshuaM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:06 PM

so I finished the chkdsk, and it would not run startup repair. I will remove the hard drive and see if I can get the data.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users