Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printing to File Unsuccessful

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ohevshalomel

ohevshalomel

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 01:01 AM

Hello,

I've encountered an issue with trying to print certain web pages to file since I've had this computer. I'm not sure if this is something that certain websites do on purpose to try to protect their content, or if it's just a problem with my machine.

I like to print different web pages to file (.pdf or .xps format) in order to save them to read later. I used to save whole web pages, but I found that there's much less clutter if I print the page to file. I especially like to use this feature to print recipes to my computer. The problem is, whenever I try to print certain web pages to file, it either gives me the message, "An error occurred while printing", or gives me no message, but either way, when I go to the folder I printed the file to, it lists the title of the file but says it's 0 KB in size. Then when I go to open the file, it's blank, of course.

This only happens with some web pages, not others. What could be causing this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 01:28 AM

Are you using Windows 10? Googles and found possible registry issue with the print to function with file names or folder names with commas. Try creating a different folder where you are saving and makes sure neither have a comma. If that isn't relevant, what browser are you using? Does it effect other browsers? 

Something else you can try is restarting the print spooler. This should restart on reboot, but if not, go to Windows Key + R > services.msc > Double click on "Print Spooler" > Make sure set to automatic and start if not already started. Have a few other ideas, but lets try those first. 

Edited by Trikein, 30 July 2016 - 01:29 AM.

#3 ohevshalomel

ohevshalomel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 04:28 PM

I do use Windows 10 and Firefox (sorry for not mentioning this before). I don't think the commas affect it. I mean, I get the same error whether the destination folder has commas or not. I'll try the different things you suggested, though, and get back to you. Thank you.

#4 ohevshalomel

ohevshalomel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 04:59 PM

Are you using Windows 10? Googles and found possible registry issue with the print to function with file names or folder names with commas. Try creating a different folder where you are saving and makes sure neither have a comma. If that isn't relevant, what browser are you using? Does it effect other browsers? 

Something else you can try is restarting the print spooler. This should restart on reboot, but if not, go to Windows Key + R > services.msc > Double click on "Print Spooler" > Make sure set to automatic and start if not already started. Have a few other ideas, but lets try those first. 

Okay, just for the heck of it, I renamed the destination folders to exclude commas and tried printing some pages that I'd previously had trouble printing, and they printed to file successfully this time! What an odd thing to be causing a problem. Thank you again for your suggestions and for taking the time to reply to me!

#5 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 08:57 PM

Yea, what a odd glitch. Maybe just creating a different folder helped? If it happens again, or if you just like commas, you might try downloading the firefox plugin and use that to save the file. Doesn't have the best reviews, but I downloaded and tried it out and it worked well enough saving a recipe. I just wouldn't use it for anything secure like bills, since it goes through a third party for conversion. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users