Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd time issue. Clock refuses to stay set? Windows 7 HP Mini

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 geekomatic

geekomatic

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 29 July 2016 - 10:48 PM

So, the story is this. Was given a HP Mini 210-1018TU PC. The hard drive had failed and the friend just wanted to upgrade to a beefier laptop.

Next, I checked the bottom of the case & no MS sticker? I take out the battery thinking it's in the compartment, nope....I contact HP & they offer to send me the recovery CD's. Great!

I get them, open the case to put the new drive in-- there's the product key sticker! Anyway, install them- all good. Except now my system time will not stay set. I'm not sure if this is the only issue- but it seems to also be preventing me from installing SP1?

If I set the time in BIOS & save, when I get to the desktop, it always shows 24/07/2010.

If I set the time while in Windows & restart, it will always show 01/01/2008?

I've tried it with & without time synced (the sync does work because I can click "update" & it successfully updates). I have replaced the coin battery with a new, known working battery.

Also ran chkdsk /f & sfc/scannow. No issues reported.

The bit about issues with installing SP1 to a replaced hard drive is a known problem on Google- but no real fixes.

Not sure what to do from here? I had hoped to upgrade it to Win 10-- but now will miss the freebie window because of this (been working on it for a few weeks now).

Ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 759 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 12:27 AM

Replace the CMOS battery

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03282075

#3 geekomatic

geekomatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 01:17 AM

"I have replaced the coin battery with a new, known working battery."

#4 geekomatic

geekomatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 01:20 AM

I'm especially puzzled about the time/date which appears, depending on how I set it: from desktop vs. BIOS-- it always restarts to that same time, which is different for each? One would think that if it were simply a battery issue, then it would always default to the same, wrong time/date...not one of two? This is truly an enigma.

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 07:07 AM

Do you get any alert messages when starting the computer?

When you go into BIOS, set it for default settings after setting the correct time and date.

When in Windows, ensure the time zone is correct and that adjust daylight savings time is checked.

--- It wouldn't surprise me if you have already done that but it is a perplexing issue as you have stated.

EDIT: What is the status of Windows Updates?

You might have to re-flash or update the BIOS but one of BC's experts can give you better advice than I can

On HP'S recovery discs, it sounds like they didn't come with SP1 on them.

Go to Let HP find my products http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

Edited by cmptrgy, 30 July 2016 - 07:10 AM.

HP CPQ 6000 Pro Win10 Pro 32-bit OS desktop 2.80 GHz Intel Pentium Dual-Core E-6300 (x64-based processor) 250GB SSD 4/16GB RAM Intel® Q45/Q43 Express Chipset Microsoft Driver version: 8.15.10.2702 / Realtek High Definition Audio. BIOS System information: Legacy Hewlett Packard 786G2 v01.09, 8/25/2009. Dual boot with Linux Mint MATE 64-bt.

#6 geekomatic

geekomatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 09:35 AM

Do you get any alert messages when starting the computer?

When you go into BIOS, set it for default settings after setting the correct time and date.

When in Windows, ensure the time zone is correct and that adjust daylight savings time is checked.

--- It wouldn't surprise me if you have already done that but it is a perplexing issue as you have stated.

EDIT: What is the status of Windows Updates?

You might have to re-flash or update the BIOS but one of BC's experts can give you better advice than I can

On HP'S recovery discs, it sounds like they didn't come with SP1 on them.

Go to Let HP find my products http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

Correct- no SP1-- & I can't install it, even using WSUS Offline. No alerts. It's only when you fire up IE that you get the immediate complaint. And yes, I think I've tried every possible combo to get the clock/date right & persistent-- just won't happen.

I'm going to reinstall from a different medium. I've saved the drivers from this install so I have them. Will let you know what happens.

Weird....

#7 PnP_PC

PnP_PC

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:05 AM

Hi

Did you ever resolve this? Have a customers computer on my bench at the moment with the same problem. It is also an HP Mini 210 

Edited by PnP_PC, 17 October 2017 - 09:05 AM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:56 AM

Replacing the CMOS battery with a new CR2032...then going into BIOS to reset date/time data and save changes...should have resolved this.

FWIW.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 October 2017 - 10:00 AM.

#9 geekomatic

geekomatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:30 AM

Hi

Did you ever resolve this? Have a customers computer on my bench at the moment with the same problem. It is also an HP Mini 210 

You know-- I got so caught up in other things at that time- Now I feel a bit sheepish I forgot to come back! You know how it goes-- you post everywhere & then move on to other tragedies- lol.

Worse thing is-- no, I cannot recall how I solved it! Gah-- I know. Not helpful....

Thinking back, I know I did flash the BIOS. I also installed from a generic Win 7 starter image. It's likely the latter that worked. Afterwards, I upgraded to Win 10-- but 10's a total dog on the HP Mini 210. And that's with an SSD!

Mine runs pretty hot, as well. The fan runs constant-- are you finding the same? I might have to crack it open again & look at the heatsink.

So yeah, all that to say, 1) flash BIOS, 2) try a Win 7 starter image (if you don't have the discs, copy out the HP drivers or line them up from the site).

Cheers mate--- & good luck to you!

#10 geekomatic

geekomatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:36 AM

Replacing the CMOS battery with a new CR2032...then going into BIOS to reset date/time data and save changes...should have resolved this.

FWIW.

Louis

Hey mate,

I tried everything-- & I mean everything, at the time. As I replied above- BIOS flash & install from a new image is the only thing I can recall now that sticks out. Win 10 on the thing is slow as death on crutches!

I had installed a 32 bit Linux on it & it ran very well- except for the d*mned fan/heat. I thought it was a Linux issue, until I went through all of the Windows troubles only to find it's the laptop itself! Now, even most Linux distro's are dumping 32 bit (cry)....I just hope someone out there continues to maintain a decent 32 bit OS for a while longer. There are still plenty of viable computers (and poor people) who would benefit from even a super basic machine vs. another bunch of poison added to the landfill.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:27 AM

Check out thermald for linux. That may help with the heat issue. 

https://itsfoss.com/reduce-overheating-laptops-linux/

Here is the service guide if you don't already have it.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01988326

#12 geekomatic

geekomatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:35 PM

Yeah, I read itsfoss, myself! And I tried all of the recommended fan/heat control "fixes" but as I said, I believe it's the laptop maybe needing some better thermal paste, etc....

Cheers

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:33 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy1.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users