Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard has a mind of its own? (boot order problems)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Tibernut

Tibernut

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 29 July 2016 - 10:34 PM

I think this belongs here as my motherboard seems to really love Windows 10.

Here is the setup:

3 hard drives.

1 has the Windows 10 OS along with the UEFI bootloader(not sure if that is correct terminology, I understand UEFI works differently than a Bios)

2 is just storage and stuff

3 has Linux Mint along with grub setup in UEFI.  It sees both Mint and Win 10 and allows me to select either.

I've changed my boot order to disable all hard drives except for #3.  This way at bootup I can pick between Linux and Windows.

If I choose Windows from Grub Windows 10 boots normally.  If I restart my computer completely bypasses Grub and goes straight back into Windows.  When I check I see the motherboard has re enabled the Windows HD and moved it to the top of the boot order list.

If I choose Linux from grub menu and then reboot I get dumped back in grub menu.

The motherboard in question is a ASRock H77m.

I guess I could move Grub to hard drive #1 and be done with it. But frankly, thats a little intimidating.

Anyone run into this before? Am I missing something fundamental about UEFI?

Hopefully someone can set me straight!

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 05:01 AM

I found this with a Google search:  http://askubuntu.com/questions/235567/windows-8-removes-grub-as-default-boot-manager

FYI - I know next to nothing about GRUB or Linux

If still having problems, try posting in the Linux forums:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/11/linux-unix/

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users