Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Computer can't find operating system after hardware change?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Greyy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 29 July 2016 - 08:25 PM

I'm not sure if this is in the right place because my problem covers many areas it seems so I apologize if I'm in the wrong place.

Yesterday morning my boyfriend gave my his old graphics card, a GTX 760, I made sure everything was compatible with my hardware before installing it. I uninstalled my AMD drivers, I had an AMD r7 250x, and shut my computer down, popped it open, and carefully changed the cards. I made sure not to knock anything or any cables, put it back together and booted it up.

I got a screen with a frown face, im not sure if this is the BSOD on Windows 10, I only had Windows 10 for a couple days, and it restarted my computer. I tried switching the graphics cards back thinking that was the problem but once I turned my computer on it said it couldn't find the operating system, I've gotten a handful of errors since then, most have to do with not having a proper boot device or not being able to find the operating system.

Here are the things I've tried:
Using a Windows 7 install disk
Using an old backup restore disk I made when I had Windows 7
Creating a restore drive on another Windows 10 computer on a USB
Unplugging, leaving it for a little bit 10-15 min, and plugging it back in
Changing the graphics cards
Opened up the computer to double check the wires, all is plugged the way it's supposed to be

Upon going into my BIOS menu, I discovered it is reading that my hard drive is connected but it wasn't in the boot priority list, so to fix that I disabled all boot priorities and restarted. This fixed the problem of it not being in the boot list, but upon restarting it did not fix the "could not find operating system" error.

My computer is only 6 months old, it is a custom gaming computer I got as a gift for Christmas, I believe it was bought from a guy who builds computers and sells them on eBay, it is very professionally put together, I have not had any problems until now.

Here's my specs, or the ones I know anyway, I don't remember off the top of my head all the specs and I can't check because I can't get on the computer at all.

Motherboard: ASUS p5q pro
GPU: AMD r7 250x OR Nvidia GTX 760 (I've tried both)

I honestly don't know anything else off the top of my head. I can't read the label on the hard drive.

I'm at a loss for what to do, I can't afford to send it anywhere to get it fixed, there has to be something I can do. I don't have Windows 10 on disk because I got the free online upgrade, and only had it for a day so I never got to create a restore disk.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greyy

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 08:28 PM

I should add, the USB recovery drive got me to the point where it gave me restoral options but it said that I could not restore because I was missing a drive partition, and when I tried to run the check disk command but that failed. I can no longer get to those options from the USB, it only worked once. It

Edited by Greyy, 29 July 2016 - 08:29 PM.

#3 usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,084 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 04:49 AM

What is your intent here?  Have you backed up your data - or do you want to do that?

Do you want to spend time trying to repair the WIndows installation - or do you just want to wipe the system clean and start over fresh?

Did you activate Windows 10?  Which OS do you want on the system?

So, please start with these free, bootable hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

Then, depending on your answers above, we'll suggest attempted repairs or reinstallation of the OS.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users