Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 won't activate with previous product key

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 trimad22

trimad22

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 29 July 2016 - 07:07 PM

I spent most of the day on hold and being bounced around with Microsoft and was told to call Lenovo because it was an OEM issue.

I just upgraded from 8.1 to 10 and when I try to enter my product key it says it is being used by another computer. Microsoft says I need to contact lenovo because my product key is fine but it is an OEM issue. Lenovo is saying that because I went from 8.1 to 10 it is causing issues because my laptop was shipped with Windows 8.

So my question is how can I keep 10 but and activate it? Do I need to reinstall 8 then come back to 10? And can I come back to 10 now being that the free upgrades are over.

Can it be done or do I just go back to 8.1?

Appreciate  any and all help :) 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 07:54 PM

In contacting Microsoft before the deadline, you have told Microsoft that you are attempting to activate W10.

Now it's up to you to fix the product key issue between you and Lenovo.

Once that's fixed, contact Microsoft again and ask them about installing/activating W10.

Cite the current case that you have open and ask them politely about activation.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 trimad22

trimad22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 08:21 PM

Lenovo said I need to install windows 10 from windows 8 (that came with the laptop) and not 8.1 which I updated to when I reinstalled windows after my hard drive died.

I am wondering how I can save 10 go back to 8 then upgrade again to 10. It took me all day to get someone on the phone with microsoft. 3 reroutes, 4 disconnects and many, many your call cannot be processes so figured I would try here to see if someone could guide me through the process or at least tell me if it is possible now.

#4 trimad22

trimad22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 10:58 PM

Thank you for your help. Problem solved :) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users