Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old laptop, new hard drive

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:56 PM

My elderly (2004) laptop, a Toshiba PRO-L10, has a hard drive showing signs of advanced age. Apart from 0.25M faulty sectors, every SMART characteristic comes up either 'pre-fail' or 'old age' !  So I have splashed out, not very much, and ordered a new drive.

Obviously I will have to install an OS when i get round to fitting it. At the moment it is running Mint 17.3 XFCE in view of its relatively low power, and running it pretty well. So do I put 17.3 back on or is it worth my while hanging off until 18 XFCE reaches general release status ?  I know I could get the Beta tomorrow but I am not sure if I am brave enough for that.

I have been through the 'Mint 18 - First impressions' topic and I am quite willing to give 18 a go, but I would prefer not the Beta. Any thoughts or even alternatives ?

Chris Cosgrove

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 29 July 2016 - 06:29 PM

So do I put 17.3 back on

I would go with 17 for now.

Why?

Because you know it works on your system.

Edited by NickAu, 29 July 2016 - 06:54 PM.

#3 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 29 July 2016 - 07:02 PM

I'm gonna agree with Nick. Beta versions of open-source software aren't like "beta testing" a commercial product, they're more like the fresh-off-the-line builds that passed compilation and "mostly work". Unless you are specifically bug-testing for your favorite distro, it's best to leave the beta builds to those who are curious.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,249 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:14 PM

+1 on 17.3!  Even if 18 were a stable release, I would go with 17.3 on twelve year old hardware, and it is well refined now imo.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:19 PM

What size will the new drive be, Chris (Cosgrove)?

You could put BOTH on and compare, either 17.3 with the 18 Beta or with the new stable.

I've used both the MATE and Cinnamon BETAs to no ill effect, only reason I'll be losing them is that I now have the stables for both on board.

Clem's people put the last bug fixes into the repo's on Thursday for the XFCE stable release, so it's not far away.

Cheers

:wizardball: Wiz

Edited typos

Edited by wizardfromoz, 29 July 2016 - 09:19 PM.

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 29 July 2016 - 11:27 PM

Hi Chris.

Now is also the time to consider proper partitioning, Like do you want a separate partition for your Home folder? And how big a swap partition do you need,  and even drive encryption during install.

The Benefits of Using Linux Logical Volume Manager | LinuxBSDos.c

Edited by NickAu, 29 July 2016 - 11:30 PM.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 7,123 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 04:43 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

The present drive is 40GB, which was not unusual in budget laptops twelve years ago. Indeed quite a few destktops were built with the same size of drive. The new one, which should arrive Monday or Tuesday, is a whopping 80GB !  It kind of pales into insignificance compared to the 2.5TB available to Windows in my desktop, and the 3TB available to Linux since the Windows OS just doesn't see a drive dedicated to Linux. Since at present I have about 30GB free space on the 40GB drive I don't think 80 will impose any new restrictions.

For the time being I will go with the majority opinion and install 17.3 again, I did see on the Mint web-site that there will be an easy (!) upgrade path to 18 if I want to go that route.

Actually all this reminds me that I must have a look at the Linux drive in my desktop, I think it came out of a desktop running XP that I scrapped for a friend after transferring all her data to her new laptop. If it didn't come from that I have no idea where it came from. It is at least newer - it's SATA !

Chris Cosgrove

#8 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 05:22 PM

Your call, your puter, Scots one :wink:

That 80GB is a size friend pcpunk is very familiar with. My wife Elaine's old Compaq Presario (2005) runs LXLE and Peach OSI BB (Bare Bones) side by side quite comfortably, on only 512 MB RAM, hence my suggestion to try two.

If you want to have your specs handy for any further questions on the lappie, I suggest you capture the output of the following to a text file and keep for good measure:

lshw

and

inxi -Fxs

LM17.3 should have inxi onboard, but for viewers with older, 'buntu-based Distros, you can get it with

sudo apt-get -y install inxi

The lshw command mentions sudo (non-fatal), but if you use sudo, the output will be as long as your arm, the abridged version is fine for output in most cases.

Both inxi and lshw will also tell you your architecture (32-bit cf 64-bit), as highlighted in my spoilers. The flag "lm" means long mode (64-bit)

My lshw output

Spoiler

and my inxi -Fxs output

Spoiler

Enjoy Linux ... we all do :thumbup2:

:wizardball: Wizard

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 05:19 AM

I've had no issues with updating beta/preview versions of Linux Mint to the stable one, and have ran the OS for 7+ years, so have the experience to know. 

While the final decision belongs with Chris, I just don't see anything going wrong with the beta release. Once RTM, all one has to do is run the Update Manager & apply all Level 1 through 3 updates, and it'll be the stable release. Have been with his since Min7 7 (otherwise known as Gloria, didn't even have to dump the /home partition. Even my prior selected screensaver showed, plus some icons on the Panel. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:28 AM

Actually why not try Manjaro?

Manjaro's main edition Manjaro XFCE strikes the balance of ease of use, is relatively lightweight and is a rolling release offering far more upgrade options than Linux Mint.

http://manjaro.github.io/download/

There are also community editions of Manjaro offering even lighter options though ease of use does fizzle out with some of them

Edited by MadmanRB, 01 August 2016 - 08:30 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 04:53 AM

MadmanRB, is the installer easy to navigate like that of Linux Mint also? 

I ask this because some Linux editions wants the whole drive, with little choice in how to partition, in this case, would be far harder for many to choose not only from Linux Mint, also much any distro based from Ubuntu. The install process for these are all the same. :)

So how is this for Manjaro? Easy install for newbies or not?

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 07:14 PM

Manjaro typically comes with three (3) options of install:

1. Thus Installer v0.9 or so
  2. Calamares installer - good some days, a little iffy others
  3. CLI install option - I haven't tried yet

The Thus Installer option is very simple to follow.

If you are interested, next time I install (which is likely next few days, with a reinstall of Manjaro Deepin, a community-based edition), I could shoot a video of the install process, and see what you think. I would place it over at my Test Driving Linux Topic, here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/592292/testdriving-linux-start-your-engines/

... and suggested viewing of those three install options is on page 2 here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/592292/testdriving-linux-start-your-engines/?p=3906974

The latter Post's screenshot is of Manjaro 15.12 XFCE, codenamed "Capella". There was also a MATE option with that I tried and liked, and a Cinnamon with 16.02 likewise.

We are currently in the 16.06's.

I'd best not go further here, or else the OP will rouse on me and have to close his own Topic, lol.

:wizardball: Wizard

#13 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 7,123 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 12:14 PM

Well, the HD arrived on Monday, after an email asking did I really, really want an IDE drive and it is sitting on my desk waiting for Friday when I will have time to deal with it.

What I may do, having read all the prosletysing above, is split it into two 40GB partitions and put Mint on one and consider another variant on the other half. Since this laptop is used primarily for assisting when I am teaching and for Linux familiarisation for me that will be no bad thing. In our volunteer classes there is no mandatory OS required - our members have between them one Chromebook, one Linux box, several various iPads, several variations on Android tablets and even the odd smart phone as well as conventional windows laptops - I use it mainly so that I have at least a base system I know works !

Chris Cosgrove

#14 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:28 PM

... is split it into two 40GB partitions and put Mint on one and consider another variant on the other half.

Good call, IMO. When people ask me "Why do you run so many Linux", my short answer is "Why not? I have the space, and each one has its features".

Good luck with your choice and we'll be interested to hear how you go. :thumbup2:

:wizardball: Wiz

BTW Chris https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_Linux_distribution  might assist .. or confuse, lol

Edited added BTW

Edited by wizardfromoz, 03 August 2016 - 05:34 PM.

#15 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 7,123 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:16 PM

By happy coincidence Mint 18 XFCE was RTM yesterday. The drive is installed, divided into two roughly equal partitions, an install disc has been made and waiting for the morrow to do an install. I even checked the SHA sum !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users