Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Client.exe not found repeating error

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Pyronises

Pyronises

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 04:38 PM

This is a strange thing that my computer has started doing a few months ago. At first it was weird, but seemed negligible. Now, it's irritating and I want to fix the issue. The only problem is that I don't know what is causing the issue.

Issue:

So this is what is happening; I turn on the computer, log in, everything loads up properly. Then, a blank CMD pops up, and on top of that another window pops up saying something along the lines of "Client.exe not found, file not run" so I close out of it. Every couple of hours, it will pop up again.

Theory:
I have steam client, curse client, tukui client, and skype client, all of which are still on my PC. None of which are set for auto-run or schedule run. So this could be a residual file from one of those. Or a residual schedule activity for a virus of some sort that is no longer on the PC

The request:
I am here to find out what is causing the pop-up and how to remove it. I will update with suggestions that are helpful or non help, along with what has been tried in an attempt to fix. If logs of any kind are needed let me know, I will do what I can to provide the needed information.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pyronises

Pyronises
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 04:44 PM

I know this could have been posted in virus sub forums but I don't think it's an active virus. It's just something that started when I upgraded to W10 and wanted to see if there was a way to get rid of it or at least figure out what was going on.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:54 PM

Hi Pyronises :)

Let's take a look at your startup programs, services, etc. Follow the instructions below please.

sUc2qjf.pngAutoruns - Start-up Entries
Follow the instructions below to give me an Autoruns log containing your start-up entries:
  • Download Autoruns.zip from the Sysinternals Suite webpage;
  • Extract the content of the Autoruns.zip folder where you want, then go in the folder, right-click on Autoruns.exe and select Run as Administrator;
  • Accept the EULA on opening, then wait for all the entries to load;
  • Click on File then Save and save the file to a location easily accessible as a .arn (Autoruns) file;
  • Upload the file on Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive and post the download URL for it here;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 Pyronises

Pyronises
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 12:14 AM

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhndaebQNyjmhTy7fVNgw4H5g_qw

I ran the reg. arn as admin instead of the 64bit.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:49 AM

I think I found it. Delete the entries listed in the screenshots below. To delete an entry, right-click on it and select Delete (Autoruns needs to be launched with Admin Rights).
jgz3IYv.png
MQ9UD3a.png
SaoQ7qC.png
Now, there should be a folder in C:\Program Files (x86) called user extensions. Delete it. Once done, restart your computer and tell me if you still receive the client.exe error message.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Pyronises

Pyronises
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 04:20 PM

That seems to have solved it! Thank you, should I delete any of the other files listed? Looks like there are a lot of files that are red and yellow.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 05:37 PM

Yellow means that the file cannot be found, but if there's no reason to delete these entries, I usually don't. Red means that there's no company name on the file or it's not signed, but some are legitimate despite that (best example would be gathernetworkinfo.vbs which is from Microsoft).

And glad to see that this solved it :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users