Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ipod and Mp4

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 29 July 2016 - 01:54 PM

I am trying to move my MIT lectures to my ipod to listen/watch on the go but iTunes won't let me add them to library, anyone have any ideas as to why?

i do not like crapple (mainly for this very reason) but the device works so why not use it.

have tried moving files to the itunes folder manually and have tried to add to itunes library, still no cigar.

EDIT: I'm just going to separate the audio and video then save audio as mp3.

Edited by Viper_Security, 29 July 2016 - 02:20 PM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 29 July 2016 - 04:01 PM

MP4 is a digital media "container" format, not a video codec. MPEG4 is a video codec. Two different things. A MP4 file may or may not contain video in the MPEG4 codec. iTunes supports MPEG4 video, but not all video codec that might be used in a MP4 file.

You can see this link for an explanation (note: I am not necessarily recommending/suggesting the video converter being pushed by this page as I have never used it...this link just had the best explanation of the differences that I could find...so use the video converter program at your own risk...it is one of those programs that is advertised all over the place that I can never find a true independent review on...they mention a "review" by MacLife, but could not find it separately):

http://www.macxdvd.com/mac-dvd-video-converter-how-to/mpeg4-vs-mp4.htm

You need to make sure that iTunes/iOS can support the video codec that is used with in the MP4 "container". It sounds like the video codec that is used in those MP4 files are is not supported by the native video player in the iOS and iTunes.

It is not "crapple's" fault that you are not using the type of video codec that they support. You would have that same type of problem Windows in terms of what video codecs that might be supported by the default video player. Actually, you would have this type of problem with any video player...if you don't use a video codec that they support, they won't play them/accept them.

You could try VLC for iOS. Then put the videos on Dropbox (or one of the other cloud services that the iOS VLC player supports) and then log into your DropBox account to then be able to download those video to the local media library of the iOS VLC player. Or you can "sync" the files to the iOS VLC player using iTunes (it will appear under the Apps tab for your iPod...scroll to the bottom of the page to see the list of apps that can sync files to the iOS device...the VLC player should be one of them). Like the Windows and Mac version of VLC, it will support way more video codec than the built-in video player.

Or, of course, you could covert MP4 file to a version that is using a video codec that the default video player can use and then iTunes will accept them and sync them.

Or you could extract the audio to MP3 as you stated. That should work too as MP3 is an audio codec and obviously one that iOS/iTunes will support (that is the format that I use for iTunes when I want to rip my CDs).

Edited by smax013, 29 July 2016 - 04:05 PM.

#3 Viper_Security

Viper_Security
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 29 July 2016 - 04:49 PM

tis not MY fault they don't support mp4 they should get with the times, i do know the differences between the bit-rates and formats/codec, and instead of going through 19 hours of that im just going to buy a normal one that i don't need software to use, thank you for your time and response :)

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:50 PM

They do support MP4...if the video was encoded in a video codec that they support such as H.264 or MPEG-4 (with some constraints on resolution...see the specific supported video formats for your iOS device). You can go to this site and find your iPod Touch and it will tell you what video codec that iPod Touch will support...which means that iTunes will support it:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ipod/index-ipod-specs.html

Does Windows by default support all codecs that MP4 might contain? Nope. See this page and scroll down to the MP4 section towards the bottom of the page:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/316992

My point was that if you are going to bad mouth Apple for not supplying support for all video codecs that a MP4 might contain, then you should be just as willing to bad mouth others, including a Microsoft.

Other wise, feel free to bad mouth Apple all you want. There are lots of things to "real" things that Apple should be bad mouthed about. And there are plenty of things that Apple does that I don't like (the big one is their current obsessive push of form over function these days...not every computer or iOS device needs to be some super thin, sleek design that then lacks in functionality in order to obtain that super slim, sleek design...I love my Retina Macbook Pro for what it can do...not for the fact that it is super thin and light...it could be the same thickness and weight as my previous 2009 17" Macbook Pro, but just more advanced and I would just as happy...actually happier as it would likely have an actual Ethernet port on it rather than having to use a "dongle" or Thunderbolt dock for Ethernet).

Of course, there are plenty of things that Microsoft does that I don't like too.   :grinner:

I just kind of feel that if something in you makes you have to resort to calling Apple "Crapple", then do it for something that they deserve.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users