Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Windows 10 upgrade with W7 software RAID 1 data drives

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Justarius

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 29 July 2016 - 01:19 PM

Hi there, long time fan of Bleeping Computer! Thanks in advance for reading.

I'm looking to upgrade my Win7 Pro computer to Windows 10 (and only have today until the deadline to figure this out!).

My issue is I have 2x3TB drives setup as a software RAID 1 mirror for data storage (the OS is on a separate drive). Anybody know if the upgrade will recognize the software RAID and go smoothly? The RAID volume is where all my important data is stored. Not sure if I should unhook them and try to reconnect after the upgrade or just let it do its thing...

I have Win7 Pro so should be getting Win 10 Pro which does support RAID (I understand Win 10 Home does not). Not a big fan of breaking the volume and re-mirroring later but also not sure about leaving it connected during the upgrade...

Any advice greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,084 posts
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 29 July 2016 - 04:36 PM

The update should recognize the array and treat it properly - but I'm just offering an opinion here (I haven't had time to research it).

Also, I don't have much knowlede about breaking and resetting RAID arrays.  The last Iime I tried that was with W7 - and I gave up on RAID because of that experience.

Obviously, you should back all of your data to "safe" storage before starting the update - but you're running out of time here!

In short, is it worth a chance to you?

FYI - W10 must be activated BEFORE the offer ends.  If not, you won't be able to activate it for free.

If you have problems with the update, the first thing to do is to open a case with Microsoft Support.
This will establish that you were attempting to upgrade before the free offer expired.
And, they may be able to help you get the upgrade sorted out.
Here's the link for that:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

Next, try a clean boot in order to reduce the chances of failure:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/what-is-clean-boot-state-in-windows
Then attempt to install W10 again.

Another option is to attempt a clean install of W10.
To do this:
- gather up your Windows product key
- backup your data
- make an image of your system (in case you want to go back to W7)
- Use this link to create a USB drive to install Windows 10 "clean":  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

Edited by usasma, 29 July 2016 - 04:40 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users