Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My external 3tb hdd toshiba wont show up

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 doriv

doriv

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 29 July 2016 - 11:41 AM

My external 3tb hdd toshiba suddenly dissappears and shows only 746 gb unallocated space.I have more than 2 tb info there and i dont wanna format it.i had it fully recognizable and working 2.7 tb( not partitioned) .I use a packard and bell extender that i use it as a usb.i even changed the bios from sata to raid and nothin.i tryed installing rapid storage technology from intel and some of them said that i didnt had the minimum requirements and others just stopped installing.i have win 7 64 bit 2 gb ram 800mhz intel dual core e 5200 2*2.5 ghz processor.anybody help me because i need those infos.
Motherboard: ECS GF7050VT-M5 1.0
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 x64 Pro Service Pack 1.0

Processor: Pentium® Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz
Ive tried in another pc with xp installed and all the same .i have to mention that my hdd primarly had a sata connection working as an internal hdd 2.7 tb and when the pins of sata motherboard broke i passed it as an external cable with packard and bell usb and poweradapter.it worked fine until i shut down the pc and when i started normally the next day it wont show up and in disk management would show only 746 gb.

Attached Files

Edited by doriv, 29 July 2016 - 12:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:01 PM

Download Partition Wizard and using the Partition Recovery Wizard do only a Quick Scan. Does it detect any partition? If so then highlight it and double click. Do you see your files? Usually in a situation where the partition table is lost the drive will show as RAW in Disk Management. I am not sure what happened here. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitool-partition-wizard-free/

Partition Recovery

#3 doriv

doriv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:04 PM

i must tell you that the hdd wasnt partitioned it was fully operational at 2.7 tb

#4 doriv

doriv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:09 PM

i did it and it showed me two partitions 1 - 128 mb gpt reserved and 2-746 gb unallocated 

#5 doriv

doriv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:15 PM

im tryin a partition recovery on 128 mb full disk scan .what should i do to recover my files ????

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,646 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:17 PM

If the drive was not partitioned how were you able to store data on it. All drives need to be partitioned, even if only one partition, and formatted before they can store data. Unallocated does not look good. You can do a Full Scan but I must tell you that it will take a long time.

Before doing a Full Scan download TestDisk for Windows. Do not download the 64bit version. Do a Quick Scan. Highlight any partition found then press the "P" key. Do you see any files/directories listed?

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

Testdisk Step by Step.

You will not see any files you need in that 128MB space. That partition is required for a GPT disk.

#7 doriv

doriv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:26 PM

the scanning process is taking so long even if i did a quick scan

#8 doriv

doriv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:35 PM

i first bought it and installed it i read a lot and tried differnet formatting of hdd sometimes it would be partitioned untile i formated it mbr at full disk unpartitioned and had used as internal driver until the pins of motherboard broke .than i started using it as external disk.at 2tb used space it worked fine until it passed the 2.2 tb limit that much is allowed by rapid storage technology of intel.now i want the whole disk with infos back because i have a lot of tutorials or online courses that very valuable for me.please help me .

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,646 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:40 PM

Just to confirm. Did you do the Quick Scan for Partition Recovery using Partition Wizard Partition Recovery Wizard?

https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/partition-recovery.html

Edit: If you formatted the drive as MBR then you would only have about 2.2TB of space with 746GB unallocated ad the maximum MBR can detect is 2.2TB. From your image you added it seems your drive has somehow lost the 2.2TB partition but if you formatted the drive as MBR I do not understand how Partition Wizard sees a GPT reserved partition on the disk.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 July 2016 - 12:44 PM.

#10 doriv

doriv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:43 PM

yep .i selected the drive with partition recovery than selected 128 mb quick scan of full disk

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,646 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:47 PM

Then I recommend you scan the disk with TestDisk. You can see my edited post. I am not sure why GPT is listed when you formatted the disk as MBR.

Open a command prompt. Type the following commands

diskpart    Will open a diskpart command window.

list disk     Is there an asterisk in the GPT column for your 3TB external disk?

#12 doriv

doriv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:49 PM

i change it from disk management but i didnt format it.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,646 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:52 PM

i change it from disk management but i didnt format it.

Can you explain further. What did you change in Disk Management? 

Is GPT listed for your 3TB drive using the diskpart commands I posted?

#14 doriv

doriv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:52 PM

nope there isnt it shows disk 1 online 746 gb

#15 doriv

doriv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:53 PM

i just clicked with the right click were is the opion convert to mbr or gpt that's all i did but i didnt format the disk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users