Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install Win 10 on Win 7 hard drive.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 heavydude

heavydude

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 29 July 2016 - 11:18 AM

The title is confusing so here's the story.

My Dell desktop's motherboard went out. The Dell desktop had two hard drives. One with the Win 7 OS and all the programs (drive C), the other with my personal files (drive D). I took out the hard drives and bought an adapter and was able to read the drives with my HP laptop and confirm they were OK.

I have since picked up a salvaged computer (call it HP desktop) that was missing its hard drive, installed the old D drive into it and installed Win 7. HP desktop now works fine.

Right now I have the old C drive (with Win 7 OS) attached to my HP laptop. It is being read as drive F.

I want to install Win 10 in the HP laptop but I also want to install it on the old C drive to preserve Win 10 for when and if I repair the Dell desktop and put the old C drive back into it.

Of course, I shouldn't have waited until the last minute to address this, but how do I do that.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:22 PM

There are some issues here.

The OS on the Dell computer was tied to the Dell hardware.  Moving it to another computer will likely mean that the OS is no longer legitmate.
While the OS may still work without problems, anything that you do that requires validation/activation may have problems (such as the W10 update).

As long as the OS on the laptop is legitmate, then there shouldn't be activation problems with W10.
But the condition, age, and use of the laptop will affect your ability to update to W10 - before getting to the activation portion.

Next, you have to finish activation before the offer expires - so you can't finish activation on the Dell in time.  You might be able to finish activation of the HP laptop tho'.

There's no way to save the W10 on the Dell hard drive as you won't be able to activate it.  There's no "download and save for later" option from Microsoft.

Finally:

The first thing to do, if the update fails, is to open a case with Microsoft Support before the free offer expires.
This will establish that you were attempting to upgrade before the free offer expired.
And, they may be able to help you get the upgrade sorted out.
Here's the link for that:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 heavydude

heavydude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 01:24 PM

I had a feeling that was going to be the answer.

Thanks

But as long as we are on the subject of Win 10 install I have another question.

On one of my desktops the install got to "installing Windows 10. Please wait."

Got up to 88% then slowed to snail's pace. About 1% per half hour. Now at 92% and seems stuck.

What's that about?

Edited by heavydude, 29 July 2016 - 01:38 PM.

#4 heavydude

heavydude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 01:48 PM

Bump.

Not sure if you got notified of the additional question.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 04:42 PM

Sorry, but I'm not usually online in the afternoon (US east coast).

The advice here is to start a support case with Microsoft.
What if it fails?  You'll lose out on the free offer then - so start the support case in anticipation of the failure.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 heavydude

heavydude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 06:15 PM

The advice here is to start a support case with Microsoft.

How do I do that? I can't find anything on MS website. Is there a link?

Been stuck at 99% for a couple of hours.

Edited by heavydude, 29 July 2016 - 06:16 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 07:31 PM

#8 heavydude

heavydude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 07:45 PM

Thanks. I'll hang on to it just in case.

The installation finally got to 100% and finished up. Took 7 hours.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 08:00 PM

ACTIVATE IT NOW!!!!

Check activation:

- in the System applet (right click in the far lower left corner and select "System"

- from a Command Prompt type "slmgr /xpr" (without the quotes) and press Enter

It must be activated before the deadline in order for you to get the digital entitlement.

If not activated, then you'll have to pay for a copy.

Also, FYI, this copy is tied to the hardware that you're installing it on.  Changing hardware too much will void the license.

Edited by usasma, 29 July 2016 - 08:02 PM.

#10 heavydude

heavydude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:33 PM

All of the installations are marked "activated."

Thanks.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 04:54 AM

w00t!!!  Congrats!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users