Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm stuck at Win 10 "getting download" stage of upgrade!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 yorocco7

yorocco7

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 29 July 2016 - 10:35 AM

I'm sure I'm like a lot of people & waiting til almost the last minute to upgrade win7 pro to Win 10. I've been trying for 2 days & can't get past the downloading stage where the circle of balls go around & around. I even left it on all night & after 7 hours it still didn't advance past that stage. I'm not getting to a screen like other posters here where their screen says 10% or 25% complete. I don't see much happening with my HDD activity light either. usually that thing is blinking like crazy.  It's like it gets to the downloading stage & freezes without any error code. I have tested my internet speeds 55DL/6UP so it shouldn't be that. I went into windows updates just to make sure I had all the updates for Win7 pro before I tried the Update to Win10 & its just hanging too. I've restarted several times & nothing changes. Any idea why Win 10 Upgrade never gets past the download stage & win7pro windows updates seems to not do anything either?

Thanks for the help!

Acer 5738Z - Pent.Dual Core T4200 2.0GHz - 4.00GB RAM - 64-Bit Vista Biz & Win7 Pro -Latest Moz.F.F. & T.B.- Avast!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jackz4000

jackz4000

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:12 PM

Uninstall ant-virus. Download the Media Creation Tool and make an ISO of Win 10. Check my recent thread here Window hanging....hurry

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:13 PM

The first thing to do is to open a case with Microsoft Support.
This will establish that you were attempting to upgrade before the free offer expired.
And, they may be able to help you get the upgrade sorted out.
Here's the link for that:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

Next, try a clean boot in order to reduce the chances of failure:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/what-is-clean-boot-state-in-windows
Then attempt to install W10 again.

Another option is to attempt a clean install of W10.
To do this:
- gather up your Windows product key
- backup your data
- make an image of your system (in case you want to go back to W7)
- Use this link to create a USB drive to install Windows 10 "clean":  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 yorocco7

yorocco7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 02:31 PM

Thanks for getting back to me. I did see the earlier posts that touched on this subject & started a Windows support ticket just to be safe. I will try the "uninstall anti-virus" & see if that helps. If that doesn't work I'll try the "clean boot" option.  If all else fails I'll try to do the clean install by getting & storing a new full copy of win10 to install at a later date. Any idea why my normal win7 system update seems to do nothing & the Upgrade to Win10 always seems to go nowhere?

Thanks!

Acer 5738Z - Pent.Dual Core T4200 2.0GHz - 4.00GB RAM - 64-Bit Vista Biz & Win7 Pro -Latest Moz.F.F. & T.B.- Avast!

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 04:43 PM

Remember that you have to reach the activation servers BEFORE the offer expires in order to "redeem" the free offer.

If you don't activate in time, you'll have to purchase a copy in order to get activated.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 yorocco7

yorocco7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 07:28 PM

Okay how the heck do i open a case with Microsoft? I went to that link & started the page. I followed their directions & still am having issues. Since the clock is running on the free upgrade how can open a "case" from there. I've been round & round all the pages & tips & I don't see any options to open a case. Do I need to actually call them? I want to make sure I get it done before the clock runs out. Thanks!

#7 jackz4000

jackz4000

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 07:37 PM

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

#8 yorocco7

yorocco7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 08:02 PM

That is the link I've used but when you hit the " get started " button it sends you to a bunch of help topics. I've been thru them all & can find anywhere to "open a case".

BTW- I used the "Media Creation Tool" & It seems like I was about to download Win10. It didn't take to long. The download stage finished & it started to load win 7 I assumed. But now its stuck in the "Getting Updates" stage. There is just something with this PC about getting updates. I uninstalled Avast & rebooted. Any ideas for help?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users