Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Pro Anniversary Update tweaked to stop you disabling app promos

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 29 July 2016 - 10:17 AM

Group Policy changes in Windows 10 Anniversary Update, set for release shortly, mean that users of the Pro edition can no longer disable some of the more intrusive aspects of the operating system.

Group Policy is a mechanism by which system administrators can configure Windows settings centrally, for PCs joined to a Windows domain. Savvy users can also use the local Group Policy editor to apply changes to their own PCs. Windows Home cannot be joined to a Windows domain and does not include the Group Policy editor, but Windows Pro fully supports this feature.

Article

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 02:23 PM

I'm not sure I understand, John.  The insider builds have the ability to install the Adblock Plus extension in Edge, and of course Firefox and Chrome do to.  From reading the article, it appears that it's referring to a Group Policy function and not browser extensions.  Once I've enabled Adblock Plus on my browsers, I hardly ever get ads the article seems to be talking about.  Of course I almost never use anything from the Store or any of that junk on the right side of the Start menu, so maybe that's what the article is talking about?

Edited by Niweg, 30 July 2016 - 02:31 PM.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 02:30 PM

This is not web based. It concerns promo offers in the Start Menu with links you click.

The settings in question include "Turn off the Microsoft consumer experiences", a feature which allows Microsoft to install "recommended" third-party apps and links on the Windows 10 Start menu. In the past this has included apps like Candy Crush Soda Saga, Flipboard and Twitter. The full description of the feature states that it enables "personalized recommendations from Microsoft and notifications about their Microsoft account."

I did a install of Windows 10 yesterday and I wasn't on the internet more than 10 minutes when I got some promo for candy crush in the Start Menu. 

Edit: I should add I straight away went back to Windows 7 using a disk image after I created a disk image of Windows 10 making sure it was activated. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 July 2016 - 03:18 PM.

#4 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 08:19 PM

Up to and including Version 1607 Build 14393.5 released to Insiders, this works for me. Flawlessly

To Curb Showing Ads On The Start Menu, try this...

Head Into Settings > Personalization > Start 

Turn off the setting  Occasionally show suggestions in Start. The default is On.

Old Rocker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users