Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

msxml.dll Question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sremed60

sremed60

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 29 July 2016 - 08:51 AM

When I run a scan to find outdated programs on my computer the following program always turns up as needing to be updated: Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 4.x

When I click on the "Click to update" button it takes me to a Microsoft page to download Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 6.0

I've clicked to download it, (a couple of times), and it always seems as though it downloaded and installed OK, yet that 4.x version continues to show up in the scan as outdated.

I checked the System32 file and found the following:

C:\Windows\System32
                             Last Modified
msxml3.dll        3/6/2016 11:38 AM
msxml3a.dll      10/29/2012 11:51 AM
msxml3r.dll       3/6/2012 11:38 AM
msxml4.dll        11/8/2012 11:29 AM
msxml4r.dll       1/22/2009 3:12 AM
msxml6.dll        8/27/2015 10:58 AM
msxml6r.dll       8/27/2015 10:51 AM

I'm not really computer savvy enough to be messing around in this file; I have no idea what any of this is. But it seems like the "last modified" version was msxml3? It also show msxml6 was last modified a year ago, 8/27/2015, but it was only within the past few weeks that I [supposedly] downloaded and installed it?

I'm just curious as to what it is?

Is the most recent version actually running on my computer?

Can I delete versions 3 and 4 from the System32 file, or will that cause issues?

Again, I don't really know what these files do, but I know that having outdated files can cause security issues. I'd just like the peace of mind in knowing everything that is supposed to be updated . . . is updated correctly.

Thanks in advance.

Marc

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 11:53 PM

Hello

When I run a scan to find outdated programs on my computer the following program always turns up as needing to be updated: Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 4.x

Which program do you use to check for outdated programs?

About the MSXML

Microsoft provides several different XML parsers. The MSXML parser is included in the Msxml.dll file, the Msxml2.dll file, the Msxml3.dll file, the Msxml4.dll file, the Msxml5.dll file, the Msxml6.dll file, and one or more resource files. Notice that Windows HTTP Services (Winhttp*.dll) is also included with some versions of MSXML.

Believe it or not, if there is a security problem is any of the versions, they all will be updated, but will keep that name. The versioning like Msxml, Msxml2.dll, and so on is the version of parser (mostly to provide backwards compatibility :))

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users