Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade dilemma

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Lermanuel

Lermanuel

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 29 July 2016 - 07:56 AM

Messages are telling me: last Chance to upgrade free to windows 10.  I'm clueless except that I have often been burned by updates.  And I've read that the changes in file and download info display are alarming to me.  So I need to know"

Will I lose multitudes of settings that keep me functioning now?

Can I actually restore Windows 7 intact and with my old settings, if I don't like 10?

Can I have Windows 7 still installed as an option I can turn on and off?

Is this the last day for "free", really?  Is it futile to avoid Windows 10?

Edited by hamluis, 29 July 2016 - 10:46 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Win 10 Discussion - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 08:17 AM

"...Can I actually restore Windows 7 intact and with my old settings, if I don't like 10?..."

Before you do you update from Windows 7 to Windows 10, the only sure way to almost guarantee that a rollback from 10 to 7 succeeds:  Upon two trustworthy external media devices you have available, you make two full images each [**] of the following partitions: [Windows 7] System Reserved, OS [Windows 7 is normally on "C drive"], Data partition, and if there is one: factory restore.  I highly recommend using Macrium Reflect or something of that quality; do not use Windows Backup/Restore.  {**] And, I recommend not making "multable partition images on a single pass."

Edited by RolandJS, 29 July 2016 - 09:17 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 08:19 AM

"...Is this the last day for "free", really?  Is it futile to avoid Windows 10?..."

Yes, according to a Steve Wiseman email received just moments ago, it is confirmed today is the last FREE day.

After today, Windows 10 Home $119, Windows 10 Pro $199 -- from Microsoft.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#4 Lermanuel

Lermanuel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:29 AM

I don't find folders of those names (System Reserved, etc).  How do I identify and save those?

Is there a compelling reason to use 10?  Why shouldn't I stay with 7? 

Edited by Lermanuel, 29 July 2016 - 09:32 AM.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:37 AM

I don't find folders of those names (System Reserved, etc).  How do I identify and save those?   Is there a compelling reason to use 10?  Why shouldn't I stay with 7? 

Do you have a touch-screen computer or external monitor?  If not, you will miss out on much of the eye-candy fun.  Do you have any current reliable full image backups of your Windows 7 and your DATA collection?  If not, until you do have the backups I earlier suggested, I do not recommend you do a roll out of Windows 10 onto your Windows 7 until late this afternoon, after you have made sufficient Windows 7 & DATA full image backups.

#6 Lermanuel

Lermanuel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:55 AM

I did a full backup process of my computer, including an external hard drive, to another external hard drive.  The process supposedly completed, but I opened the new hard drive and found very little disc space occupied, and empty folders, such as WindowsImageBackup.  Is something wrong?

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 10:07 AM

Don't use Windows backup/restore.  Get and use Macrium Reflect, free or pay-for, or any similar quality 3rd party program.  Again, do not use Windows backup/restore.  And, make two full images of your hard-drive.  It sounds to me like you have one partition on your one internal hard-drive.  Turn on VERIFY during the backup process of making two full images.

#8 Lermanuel

Lermanuel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 10:57 AM

Reading further, I learn that Windows 10 allows Microsoft to collect any data on your computer.  That's a deal breaker.  I still want to back up my computer, but 7 is working for me.  I don't want touch screen, anyway.       

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 11:02 AM

No problem!  I still recommend you use something like Macrium Reflect, free or pay-for; it is a lot less troublesome during the making of backups and especially a lot less troublesome during the restore[s].

#10 Lermanuel

Lermanuel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 11:20 AM

I need to clarify.  Are making a backup image, and copying the computer, two different things?  I am currently copying my whole computer to a hard drive, after I previously did the Windows backup you don't recommend, which showed empty folders. 

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:11 PM

You can't simply copy because Windows has files in use. You need to create a complete disk image to an external drive. This will put one file on your drive. Macrium allows you to mount this one file to a virtual disk which you can explore and pull files from. 

If you need to restore the image in case the computer no longer boots you use the rescue media Macrium will create either to a CD or USB flash drive. 

Macrium has never failed me. After creating the Image you can verify the image by clicking Restore and then the Verify link.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Creating an Image  For a disk  image make sure all boxes are checked on the drive you are imaging.

Restoring an Image

#12 Lermanuel

Lermanuel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 04:13 PM

I see.  I want backup of my files anyway, so I want to complete the copy.  However, the process is taking far longer than I expected.  At the present rate, it will take two days.  I'll need to stop it, it is tying up my computer, but will that cancel the whole download, or will it keep what has been copied and resume when I restart it? 

#13 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,722 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:15 PM

To add to what Roland said, if you are backing up your computer by copying the files to an external drive then the only files that matter are those of your work. By that I mean things like photos, videos, music, documents - anything you have created or collected yourself. There is no point in copying say your 'Program files' or your 'Windows' folders because you cannot re-install these from a back-up made this way.

Depending on how much data you have this can still take quite a while, among other things on my own computer I have about 900GB of photos !

If however you clone your C:\ drive this does create a backuup which you can use to replace a failed OS in its entirety. Backups and clones are different beasts and there are quite a few reputable tools out there, both free and paid, to do this work. Macrium and Aomei to name but two. Probably worth your while to look at BC's section on backups and images -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/238/backup-imaging-and-disk-management-software/

Chris Cosgrove

#14 Lermanuel

Lermanuel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 06:09 PM

Okay.  I do intend to do a backup image.  On the regular file copy, will stopping the process dump the progress or will the progress be saved?  I didn't find the subject listed on the link list

Edited by Lermanuel, 29 July 2016 - 06:54 PM.

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 07:48 PM

Okay.  I do intend to do a backup image.  On the regular file copy, will stopping the process dump the progress or will the progress be saved?  I didn't find the subject listed on the link list

Whatever has been copied [past tense] from source to target will remain copied.

Whatever was in the pipeline [present tense] either did not get copied or, worse -- was only partially copied.

Whatever was not yet in the pipeline probably does not exist on target.

Are you in the process of copying Windows folders and files also?  If so, it's best to simply abandon all such attempts.  Download and install Macrium Reflect [free or pay-for], make your usb boot or dvd boot, then slowly begin making your full image of your internal hard-drive onto your external hard-drive.  I'm assuming you have only created 1 partition yourself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users