Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need some advice on incremental backups. I may have F'd up.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jimbob1141

jimbob1141

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 29 July 2016 - 06:42 AM

So i've been a bit stupid. trying to fix a backup issue that I honestly didn't know enough about. They have incremental backups setup. their drive was full so I went in and deleted the largest one to free up space. Now of course the largest one being the first and original backup. 

I then went to acronis and clicked update and it created a new backup that was about 250GB, the other incremental backups were about 50-60gb each and the original was about 450gb. Has deleting the first backup invalidated all of the other backups? Is it going to be best for me to just clear it and start the whole backup process again?

I obviously shouldn't have deleted it without fully understanding, but it's done now and i'd obviously rather know if it is a bleep up and if I need to re do everything. I feel stupid, but hey ho, I've learned my lesson. 

Thanks, James

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:31 AM

If I understand the situation, yes, the original and the incrementals that followed have to be installed in the order in which the backups were made, starting with the original, then with each incremental.  Since you did not have Undeluxe or something similar to bring back the original backup image, then, perhaps starting over is your best option.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users