Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with TFTP server

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 K12RiV

K12RiV

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 29 July 2016 - 02:38 AM

I hope i am posting this in the correct area but im trying to get y router (ArcherC7V2) to download the recovery file from my TFTP server but i cant get it to access the server and no other Linux OS can access it i get Transfer Timed out. and i cannot seem to understand why. I know my router is asking for it but times out when its trying. i can access it from the local machine and permisions should be fine i followed this guide to set it up, https://linuxlink.timesys.com/docs/linux_tftp#xinetd

i am on the correct subnet and everything for my router (using wireshark)

any help would be appretiated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 29 July 2016 - 06:28 AM

Hello K12RiV,

That is a lot of steps to go through, be sure go through the steps again & confirm everything is setup correctly in that tutorial.

Be sure your pc and router are the only things hooked up together and your pc is plugged into port 1.

After reading up on the Archer router that you have, in recovery mode it will set itself up with IP 192.168.1.86 You need to setup your Linux machine to ip 192.168.1.2 Subnet mask 255.255.255.0 Gateway 192.168.1.1

Once your ip is setup you need to confirm that your tftp server service is running. With the commands depending on which one your system is using according to the tutorial.

# /etc/init.d/xinetd restart
# /etc/init.d/inetd restart

Your factory image.bin file needs to be in the..

/tftpboot/image.bin

Now these steps are not clear anywhere on the net so I am speculating a bit here....While the router powering up hold the reset button down with a paperclip till you see the routers power light flashing orange, continue to keep holding down till it flashes green. Go ahead and release the paperclip and the router should pull the image off the linux pc. Give it some time to upload and you may see it cycle once or twice.

You may try this method instead with a different TPFT Here However, before installing the new one you should remove the xinetd tftpd first.

sudo apt-get remove xinetd tftpd

sudo apt-get purge xinetd tftpd

If those methods fail to work you may have to try a different method with a Windows machine and a TPFT2 and telnet push the file to the router. Something like a recovery method Netgear routers use..Here

Hope that helps you out..

Edited by technonymous, 29 July 2016 - 06:31 AM.

#3 K12RiV

K12RiV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 11:17 PM

I solved my problem with usind tftp32 on windows since linux isnt very user friendly especially on tftp

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:50 AM

Good to hear. Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users