Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there a software to run any BIOS virtually without having the motherboard?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 azisel

azisel

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:21 PM

Let say you want to mess around with a BIOS of a specific manufacturer and just try it out and explore it. And all you have is the BIOS update from their website. Is that possible? Does the software exist? It doesn't have to work like 100%, the important thing is you can see the settings, open each settings but doesn't have to run. All I care is how it looks and can switch from different tabs to scan available features.

Edited by Platypus, 28 July 2016 - 10:31 PM.
Deleted duplicate post

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 11:39 PM

BIOS is just a type of firmware. AFAIK firmware is not standardized to the point where one emulator could render any firmware flash. Many different companies build emulators for their devices, is there a manufacture or type of hardware you predict needing? Do you mean motherboards BIOS? Routers? Servers?

#3 azisel

azisel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:14 AM

Yes motherboard BIOS only. For any BIOS out there I want to try.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:22 AM

I looked around and I couldn't find anything that would be useful. No GUI emulators, only text based. you might find a emulator for a certain model(or screenshots) but the type of program you are talking about doesn't exists. Shouldn't you have access to all the companies manuals? I work in network support, so all the emulators I use are for routers and switches. Maybe someone else will have a idea. 

Edited by Trikein, 29 July 2016 - 12:22 AM.

#5 azisel

azisel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:24 AM

I looked around and I couldn't find anything that would be useful. No GUI emulators, only text based. you might find a emulator for a certain model(or screenshots) but the type of program you are talking about doesn't exists. Shouldn't you have access to all the companies manuals? I work in network support, so all the emulators I use are for routers and switches. Maybe someone else will have a idea. 

Okay no worries, thank you for helping me searching for answers on this!

#6 azisel

azisel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:29 AM

But what if I run one of my virtual machines (Windows 10) using my MacBook Pro and flash/update the BIOS inside virtual machine to a different kind of BIOS. For example Intel to Asus. Will that mess up my MacBook Pro even if everything is happening inside the virtual machine? (VMware)

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:00 AM

Lot's of different BIOS simulators in this Google search:  https://www.google.com/search?q=bios+emulator&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=bios+simulator

I don't know how you'd run them in a Window'd environment so you could switch tabs tho'

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users