Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't access certain websites

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 thepokey

thepokey

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:50 PM

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has had similar situations and know how to fix it. I assume the fix is pretty simple but I don't know what I should be doing.

Basically it seems that certain websites are either not accessable or only partially load. Most websites I access are loading no problems, no issues with speed etc. But for example when I try to access the usual news website I use, or Netflix, they fail to load. The news website is one issue where it just says a connection failed to establish. Netflix takes ages to load and then loads like a blank HTML white looking version of the main page with my name which is usually what I click on the access my profile, but nothing on the page is clickable. I am using the latest version of Chrome, but the same thing happens when I use IE or Firefox. When I try to access the news website via my phone (connected to home wifi) it also doesn't load. However, when I disable wifi on my phone and try to load the news via 4G it loads no problems.
So I figure that means the problem then is with my connection somehow as opposed to a browser issue.
I tried using CCleaner to wipe cache, cookies, history, basically everything and that didn't work. So I'm wondering if there is anything else I can try?

Can provide more info if needed but not sure what else to add. Be grateful for any advice!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:13 PM

First, try the Netflix speed test. The fact that it doesn't happen on 4G implies that its a ISP issue, but the blank page with your name sounds like a plugin issue. Try this test to test HTML5, and this test for Silverlight.(Assuming you have it installed).

If all that workes, and your Netflix speed is slow, try changing your DNS. See here to use Google DNS, but there are other DNS out there. If curious what DNS work best for you, try Google Namebench(green button).

I have others things to try but lets see how that goes. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users