Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound Blaster Live! (CT4830) Problem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TimothyHD

TimothyHD

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:00 PM

Hi there, I'll get right to the chase.

I have a Windows 98SE computer, sporting 768MB RAM, a 40GB hard drive, a Pentium 4, a ATI 9200SE graphics card, and a Sound Blaster Live! series card (CT4830)

I've set up this computer to play old DOS/Windows 98 games, however there is a problem with the Sound Blaster.

When I tried to run Warcraft 2, I set up the card, got all the correct drivers and such, and ran the setup program.

The digital audio (voices, swords, etc) runs fine. The music however, does not, even when I set it to different modes.

I'm not sure why it won't work. I read on another forum that the card has a synthesizer card, and no midi hardware, and that's why no midi music is playing, but it has a midi output??

I tried running a few other games, but the same problem occurs. Any help with this would be amazing, thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:21 PM

In the Windows directory there should be a file called dxdiag in the System32 directory. Run it and it will tell you if you are missing any files.

#3 TimothyHD

TimothyHD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:37 PM

In the Windows directory there should be a file called dxdiag in the System32 directory. Run it and it will tell you if you are missing any files.

It says that everything is okay, "No Problems Found" with anything, including the sound. Oddly, I can hear midi music from the dxdiag menu, under midi mapper...

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:05 PM

The only other thing I can suggest is to download and install the latest directx 9c runtime from Microsoft. It is a Web installer if you have internet access on the computer or you can download the latest for Windows 98SE here.

http://www.falconfly.de/directx.htm

I am assuming you installed the latest drivers for the Soundblaster Live card.

http://support.creative.com/Products/product_list.aspx?catID=1&CatName=Sound+Blaster#

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:41 PM

The Ensoniq based SB Live cards were very troublesome to get working properly, I recall a lot of people scouring markets for the original Soundblasters which would just work...

The Ensoniqs are very picky about having the exact right driver, an OEM card won't work properly with a non-OEM driver (e.g. a Dell SB Live needs the Dell driver) and vice-versa, and in DOS the OPL3 emulation caused a lot of heartache, being done by a TSR program, and the wavetable for music was also a software table loaded into memory from an .ECW file (which was usually not supplied with the driver package... handy).

If the program uses MIDI music, make sure the Midi Mapper is not selected if it's being run under Windows.

Edited by Platypus, 28 July 2016 - 10:44 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 TimothyHD

TimothyHD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 11:45 PM

The Ensoniq based SB Live cards were very troublesome to get working properly, I recall a lot of people scouring markets for the original Soundblasters which would just work...

The Ensoniqs are very picky about having the exact right driver, an OEM card won't work properly with a non-OEM driver (e.g. a Dell SB Live needs the Dell driver) and vice-versa, and in DOS the OPL3 emulation caused a lot of heartache, being done by a TSR program, and the wavetable for music was also a software table loaded into memory from an .ECW file (which was usually not supplied with the driver package... handy).

If the program uses MIDI music, make sure the Midi Mapper is not selected if it's being run under Windows.

How do I make sure Midi Mapper is not selected? In the game/program itself, or in the Windows 98 menus?

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,667 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:21 AM

Long time since I used Win98, but in the MIDI section of the sound or multimedia setup or whatever it was called, make sure MIDI is directed to the card's MPU-401 interface, not the mapper. If the driver is correctly installed, I think you just select MPU-401.

Edited by Platypus, 29 July 2016 - 12:27 AM.

#8 TimothyHD

TimothyHD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:24 AM

Long time since I used Win98, but in the MIDI section of the sound or multimedia setup or whatever it was called, make sure MIDI is directed to the card, not the mapper.

It says it's using "SB Live! Wave Device"

Also, when I tried to set up Duke Nukem 3D, I heard the sound from the card, then I left the menu, but then I couldn't hear any music, it said to check for conflicting IRQs..

The sound blaster is on IRQ 11, I'll check and see if anything else is using it.

EDIT:

It says that my graphics adapter is also using IRQ 11, not sure what else to do. 

Edited by TimothyHD, 29 July 2016 - 12:29 AM.

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,667 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:29 AM

If I remember correctly, some games have the SB IRQ hard coded, and may want it on either 9 or 5, some games let you select in a setup menu.

Again it's a long time since I used such a card, but the Wave Device may not produce any sound unless a software wavetable is loaded. If there is an MPU-401 option available, that might play Soundblaster FM, but I don't remember whether the Ensoniq based cards could do that in hardware or not.

Edited by Platypus, 29 July 2016 - 12:32 AM.

#10 TimothyHD

TimothyHD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:32 AM

If I remember correctly, some games have the SB IRQ hard coded, and may want it on either 9 or 5, some games let you select in a setup menu.

Oh, the MPU-401 is on IRQ 5, I'll try that.

#11 TimothyHD

TimothyHD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:38 AM

Again it's a long time since I used such a card, but the Wave Device may not produce any sound unless a software wavetable is loaded. If there is an MPU-401 option available, that might play Soundblaster FM, but I don't remember whether the Ensoniq based cards could do that in hardware or not.

Setting the Sound mode to AWE 32 on IRQ 5 works with sound effects, I'm trying to make the music work now.

Music works with Wave Blaster and General MIDI, so I guess I just need to manual set everything with those ports ^^;

Edited by TimothyHD, 29 July 2016 - 12:41 AM.

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,667 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 01:56 AM

I just need to manual set everything with those ports ^^;

With any luck. Fingers crossed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users