Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seagate External Not Recognizing.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MacPzesst

MacPzesst

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 05:59 PM

External Hard Drive was dropped, plugged it into my laptop and it seemed to be working perfectly fine. There was no visible damage. A few days later, it has suddenly stopped being recognized by my laptop while being used. There is no unusual buzzing or whirring sounds. The light turns on when it is plugged in and the mechanism does run, but it is not being recognized. Tried multiple USB ports to no avail. USB ports are in working order (tried by plugging my mouse and a thumb drive into each to check).

When plugged in,​ my laptop makes the tone that signifies that a device has been attached, it also begins installing drivers. Laptop has been swept for malware. Any ideas as to what may have happened?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 06:18 PM

What is shown for the drive in Disk Management? Right click Computer > Manager > Disk Management.

#3 MacPzesst

MacPzesst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 06:32 PM

That it hasn't been initialized. I am hesitant to do so as I do not know if this is similar to formatting.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 06:37 PM

Yes, do not initialize the disk. Does it list the disk as RAW or just not initialized?

#5 MacPzesst

MacPzesst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 06:45 PM

Not initialized. It isn't listed as raw or primary.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 06:48 PM

Since this drive was dropped I have a bad feeling about data recovery. Is this a portable drive? 

Please download GsmartControl. I don't know if it will be able to detect a drive that is not initialized. Run a short test. You may see your external in RED which would indicate a failed drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users