Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP will not connect to internet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 AliasSmith&Jones

AliasSmith&Jones

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 03:54 PM

I tried Ethernet cable and wifi, no luck.

I need to update iTunes so I can synch songs from her laptop to her iPod for my friend's wedding.

I'm running Windows XP SP2

I haven't got a lot of time.

ipconfig gives a complete blank.

ping obviously doesn't work either

I am Comp TIA A+ qualified.

All other devices connect to internet no problem.

EDIT:

Aha fixed it, I had enabled the 1394 adapter not the Ethernet connection. Silly me.

Edited by AliasSmith&Jones, 28 July 2016 - 04:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 04:06 PM

The one thing I can't help you with is time. One can not have time if they do not make it. :-)

As for your problem, sounds like you are missing your network drivers. What do you see Windows key + R > devmgmt.msc ? Also, do you see your network connections at ncpa.cpl? 

Did the owner recently do a system restore or reinstall their OS? If so, look for a Drivers and Utility disk to run to load the required drivers. 

::Edit:: Also make sure these services are running under services.msc. See here for more info.

• Remote procedure call (RPC) 
    (This service must be started before other services can take effect.).
  • Network Connections 
    (This service can only start if the RPC service is active.)
  • Plug and Play
  • COM+ Event System 
    (This service can only start if the RPC service is active.)

Edited by Trikein, 28 July 2016 - 04:10 PM.

#3 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 04:08 PM

You are putting yourself at GREAT risk connecting an XP machine to the internet (happy birthday to the internet today btw, 10K days old)

i HIGHLY recommend upgrading your OS to Win7 or later (or a *Nix variant)

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 04:16 PM

+1 that XP is a security risk, but I wouldn't broadly suggest upgrading without knowing the hardware. Some hardware is not compatible with new OS. For older systems used for web browsing and the like, I would suggest some form of Linux. What ever you do, stay AWAY from Windows 10. 

#5 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 04:21 PM

+1 that XP is a security risk, but I wouldn't broadly suggest upgrading without knowing the hardware. Some hardware is not compatible with new OS. For older systems used for web browsing and the like, I would suggest some form of Linux. What ever you do, stay AWAY from Windows 10. 

Excuse me but that is the only option if the user does not want to be at risk thank you very much, and even then there is always a flaw somewhere.

most machines can handle windows 7 bare minimum with 2gb ram and since the user has said they are COMP TIA A+ Certified they should know whether or not their machine can do the upgrade.

also there is nothing wrong with windows 10 unless your hardware is out dated.

Edited by Viper_Security, 28 July 2016 - 04:21 PM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 04:25 PM

EDIT:

Aha fixed it, I had enabled the 1394 adapter not the Ethernet connection. Silly me.

Glad to hear you got it fixed and thanks for sharing the solution. Since this topic has gone way off course and you've resolved the problem as well, I'm going to close this topic.

~ OB :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users