Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD 3200AJS having bad sectors!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 apurvgupta

apurvgupta

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 11:30 AM

Hello,

I was recently facing a problem of windows always prompting to check for bad sectors for my D drive, which is , the 320 GB Hard drive of Western Digital. I tried quick formatting but it didn't prevent from computer getting slow down at start up . I tried running WD Lifeguard diagnostics and quick test failed on it with Error- 07, could not perform quick test. Extended test showed bad sectors and when i tried repairing them , it said it couldn't repair my hard drive. And error code was- 08. Can anyone help me knowing what should i do to check if my hard disk is repairable or not ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 11:41 AM

If it's a WD drive...and the WD diagnostic (Data Lifeguard) says that it failed...I would consider the drive useless.  Since it's a 320GB drive, chances are that you have gotten far more use out of it than would have been covered by the typical 3-year warranty period.

Quick Format vs Long Format

Louis

#3 apurvgupta

apurvgupta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 12:18 AM

I have written zeros using WD utility, it passes the quick test as well as the extended test!! Don't know how! I am able to use it again. :)

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 12:25 AM

A zero fill will cause the drive's internal diagnostics to process the Pending Sector list, and either reallocate those sectors from maintenance reserve, or if reserve has run out, map those sectors out of use. If you are lucky and the drive doesn't grow any more bad blocks, the drive may remain usable. If bad sectors form again, the drive will just keep giving trouble. Either way, I suggest not relying on it for storing any important data.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 apurvgupta

apurvgupta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 02:09 AM

Yes you are right. It once again started giving problems of not being detected when booting up my pc. Is there any way i can put those bad sectors at the end portion of my hard disk and use the rest of the space to my use ? Your help will be really great. Thanks :)

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,408 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:10 AM

Not being detected when booting doesn't sound like something you can do anything about.

If the drive is not detected as present at all, normally that's a failure on the control PCB.

If the physical drive is detected, so it shows in the POST equipment list and WD Diagnostics can run tests on it, but it no longer appears as D: drive, then it probably has bad blocks at the start of the drive where file system data structures such as the partition table reside. There's no way to modify the locations where these must appear, so if the drive's internal maintenance can't repair them permanently, the drive is gone.

If a drive has only a specific portion of the data storage area where bad blocks form, and you can tell where it is on the drive from the Logical Block numbers reported as bad, you can partition the drive so that an area around that is unallocated space, use the rest of the drive and hope it doesn't get worse. But once that starts happening to a drive, it's pretty sure it will continue to degrade.

Edited by hamluis, 30 August 2016 - 07:10 AM.
Fixed typo - Hamluis.

#7 apurvgupta

apurvgupta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:16 AM

I unplugged the drive from inside the motherboard and plugged it back in. It was detected in windows. I then ran Hard disk regenerator to find and repair bad sectors, it found only 2 bad sectors at the start of the disk- around 2-4 GB at start had bad sectors, after final run , it showed that those 2 bad sectors have been repaired. Is there anything i can do further now to utilize my hard drive ?

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:29 AM

If you value the OS and the data, replace the hard-drive really soon.  I hope you have full image backups of your OS and data partitions on external media.  I once had bad sectors and SMART warnings appear,  Instead of months, weeks, days -- I had only a few hours to quickly backup what I needed, then the drive, like Ozymandias, was no more.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,408 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:41 AM

Since you mention it as D: drive and you've zero filled it previously, I assume it is now simply a storage drive?

If the bad sectors were only in the first 2 to 4 GB of the drive, you could try deleting any partition currently on the drive, then when it is all unallocated space, create a small partition e.g. 10GB, which will be at the start of the drive, do nothing with it, create a second partition in the remainder of the drive, format and use that.

But as we've said, don't use the drive to store anything important, and if it shows more problems, write it off.

Edited by Platypus, 20 August 2016 - 05:41 AM.

#10 apurvgupta

apurvgupta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 06:39 AM

Thank you for your replies. After i ran Hard disk regenerator, the WD diagnostic utility quick test and extended test are both PASS on that drive. Really strange that it is appearing fine now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users