Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot boot anymore, restarts before post after a set amount of time

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 MithrandirX

MithrandirX

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:17 AM

Hello,

I have a strange issue with my PC since last week-end.

I've already posted this on the forum of Asus for my motherboard, but since I don't think too many people were checking that thread, I was thinking of trying to get help here, since this seems to be a nice and active community.

My PC is most of the time turned on, but a few days ago, I wanted to put it in sleep mode because of the warm weather we had last week-end (the room the PC is in was getting a bit too warm).

The issue then was that each time I put it in sleep mode, it was turning back on after a few seconds.
I didn't pay much attention to the issue at the time, and decided to shut it down instead.
It shut down correctly without any strange issues, but when I tried turning it back on the next day, it wouldn't boot anymore.
The first strange thing was that the power button on the tower wasn't doing anything.

I then decided to use the start button on the motherboard itself and it turned on.
It goes through quite a few QCodes, but after 9C, 99 and B4, it just turns off and starts again (I have to turn off the power supply to stop the cycle).
Nothing is ever displayed on the screen.

Since the B4 code seems to be related to USB hot plug, I tried disconnecting everyhing connected in USB (including the internal USB that connects to the tower's front USB's), but it didn't change a thing.

I also tried booting in safe mode with the corresponding button on the motherboard, but the result is the same.

I thought it could be related to the power button of my tower because of the strange behavior I had when trying to put the computer to sleep mode first, then whenI couldn't turn it on with the tower's power button, so I tried unplugging the tower's power and reset cables (as well as the LEDs and other ones) from the motherboard, but the issue remains.

After that, I tried clearing the CMOS, which didn't remove the problem, I just had another sequence of QCodes instead, and the last QCode to be displayed was different (related to VGA).

Updating the BIOS to the latest version didn't help either, the time it takes for the system to turn off and restart seems to be always the same, and the last QCode to be displayed seems to be whatever is happening after that set amount of time.

I tried removing the GPU's, replugging the power cables, nothing seems to help.

I have another PC from which I could remove the PSU to test it in my non-starting PC, but I can't remove it currently as my wife uses it a lot.

Does anyone know what could be the problem or could give advices on something to try?

Thanks in advance !

Here are my system specs :

Motherboard model: Asus Rampage V Extreme

UEFI Version: BIOS 3301.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K (not overclocked)

Memory kit part number (s) and amount in GB: Corsair Vengeance LPX Series Low Profile 32 GB (4x 8 GB) DDR4 2666 MHz CL16

GPU: 2 x Gigabyte GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD - GeForce GTX 970 4 GB (SLI)

SSD/HDDs/Optical drives: Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256 Go + 3 Western Digital Green 2GB HDD(have to confirm the 3 WD) + ASUS BW-16D1HT (Blu-ray writer)

Sound Card : ASUS Xonar DX

PSU: Corsair AX1200i 80PLUS Platinum

USB Devices (model/version number): Logitech G910 mechanical keyboard + Madcatz R.A.T MMO mouse

Monitor: BenQ 32" LED - BL3201PT

CPU Cooler: Enermax ETS-T40-TB

PC CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Primo

Operating system: Windows 10 64Bit (Activated)

Any third Party temp/voltage software installed: No

System Overclocked : No

Best regards,
Sébastien

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sasschary

sasschary

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 837 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:57 AM

Hey Sebastien,

First, welcome to the forum!

Secondly, have you tried to start the computer without anything that is not integral to the computer? If not, remove everything that your computer does not need in order to run such as sound cards, network cards, hard drives, all but one stick of RAM, and graphics cards. I don't believe the  i7-5930K has integrated graphics, so you should leave one of your cards inside. If I am incorrect, and the  i7-5930K does have integrated graphics, remove both GPUs.

After removing everything that is not integral for the computer to run, try to start it, and see how far it gets. Though I am not familiar with Asus's QCodes, it may be helpful to know what QCodes appear during the start-up of the computer.

If the computer starts with everything removed, begin to put components back in the computer one by one, restarting the computer before putting each one back in the computer. You will know which part is at fault because the computer will not start after replacing that part.

PCPartPicker does not say anything about incompatibilities between the parts in your system, so the problem is likely to be in a faulty connection or a faulty part.

If the computer does not start with everything removed, then I can give you instructions on how to test your PSU. However, you will either need a power supply tester or a multimeter, or else you will need to use the PSU from your other computer.

Good luck!

ZC

#3 vcolev

vcolev

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:00 AM

Wondering if the CPU is now overheating, which might be as simple as getting new thermal paste to needing a new cooling fan.

Also if the on/off switch on your tower is broken.  Might want to try taking the mother board and hooking up to the wife's just to see if it works that way.

There are more knowledgeable people than I on this site, but those would be the first things I would check.

#4 MithrandirX

MithrandirX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:23 AM

Hey Sebastien,

First, welcome to the forum!

Secondly, have you tried to start the computer without anything that is not integral to the computer? If not, remove everything that your computer does not need in order to run such as sound cards, network cards, hard drives, all but one stick of RAM, and graphics cards. I don't believe the  i7-5930K has integrated graphics, so you should leave one of your cards inside. If I am incorrect, and the  i7-5930K does have integrated graphics, remove both GPUs.

After removing everything that is not integral for the computer to run, try to start it, and see how far it gets. Though I am not familiar with Asus's QCodes, it may be helpful to know what QCodes appear during the start-up of the computer.

If the computer starts with everything removed, begin to put components back in the computer one by one, restarting the computer before putting each one back in the computer. You will know which part is at fault because the computer will not start after replacing that part.

PCPartPicker does not say anything about incompatibilities between the parts in your system, so the problem is likely to be in a faulty connection or a faulty part.

If the computer does not start with everything removed, then I can give you instructions on how to test your PSU. However, you will either need a power supply tester or a multimeter, or else you will need to use the PSU from your other computer.

Good luck!

ZC

Hi ZC,

First of all, thanks a lot for the welcome and the very fast answer.

I haven't tried removing everything yet, only parts I thought could be responsible based on the QCodes I was seeing.

I will try to do that tonight when I get home.

I would like to add that the PC has been running without any issue for almost 2 years before that happened, and I didn't do any hardware or software changes recently.

I'll post my results once I tested what you advised me to.

Thank you again,

Sébastien

#5 MithrandirX

MithrandirX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:29 AM

Wondering if the CPU is now overheating, which might be as simple as getting new thermal paste to needing a new cooling fan.

Also if the on/off switch on your tower is broken.  Might want to try taking the mother board and hooking up to the wife's just to see if it works that way.

There are more knowledgeable people than I on this site, but those would be the first things I would check.

Thank you, that's a good point, it's worth trying to re-apply thermal paste.

The cooling fan seems to run fine though.

For the power button, I can try that too, though the thing I find strange was the fact that my computer wouldn't stay in sleep mode, as if something was powering it on each time after a few seconds (which is strangely similar to the time it takes for the computer to restart each time).

It was still happening after I unhooked the tower's power button cable from the motherboard.

Still, it's worth trying (though I hope the cable is long enough to avoid removing the whole board if I can avoid it ;))

#6 MithrandirX

MithrandirX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 03:00 AM

Just reporting the progress.

I haven't had time to try everything yet (my daughter was keeping me busy ;) ), just removing the graphics cards one at a time, the sound card, all usb connections.

The problem is still there, I'll try the rest this week-end.

#7 sasschary

sasschary

• 837 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 08:45 AM

Hey Sebastien,

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear when giving instructions earlier, but that's not quite how I meant to go about testing the parts in the computer. What I meant was that everything should be removed so that only what the computer needs to run is inside. Then components should be put back inside one by one, with a restart of the computer before replacing each part.

Sorry again if I wasn't clear in my instructions!

ZC

#8 MithrandirX

MithrandirX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:00 AM

Hey ZC,

You were clear, don't worry, it's just that I didn't have a lot of time yesterday evening, so I just did tried a few things I had time to.

There is only one graphics card remaining currently, and I didn't put back in the sound card, I intend to remove everyting as you explained and put the components back one by one (checking each time) this week-end.

I'll also replace the thermal paste of the CPU and make sure the fans are not obstructed at the same time.

Thank you again.

Sébastien

Edited by hamluis, 29 July 2016 - 11:02 AM.

#9 MithrandirX

MithrandirX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 04:40 PM

Ok, I've tried removing all essential components and disconnecting the motherboard's USB, HD audio and tower cables.
I removed all ram sticks except one, then swapped it with another.
I tested both GPU's separately too.
I put new thermal paste on the cpu, cleaned the fans,..

Nothing seems to change anything though, so I guess it's either the PSU, the cpu or the motherboard itself.

Could you please give me your instructions to test the power supply?

Thank you,
Sébastien

#10 sasschary

sasschary

• 837 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 05:06 PM

Hey Sébastien,

I can indeed give you instructions on testing the PSU!

If you have either a multimeter or a power supply tester, follow the instructions in this article (http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/f/powersupplytest.htm), using the instructions for whichever tool you have. If at any point you find a voltage to be outside of the tolerance levels, do not continue with the test, because your power supply is faulty. If anything in the instructions do not make sense, please ask for clarification, as continuing without completely understanding what you are doing could be dangerous. This is a power supply after all! :)

If you do not have a multimeter or a power supply tester, you will need to use the power supply from the computer that your wife uses. All you need to do is connect it as you would the PSU that is currently in your computer, and try to boot it. If it starts, your power supply is faulty.

Once you're done, please report back here, and I can give you further instructions as necessary!

ZC

#11 MithrandirX

MithrandirX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 05:39 PM

Thanks!

I think I'll order a power supply tester since I'm not used to the multimeter and it seems safer and quite useful to have.

I'll report my results in a few days when I get it (or if I have time when my wife doesn't need her pc, I'll try my wife's psu)

Sébastien

Edited by MithrandirX, 31 July 2016 - 05:41 PM.

#12 sasschary

sasschary

• 837 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 05:47 PM

Alrighty, sounds good!

In the mean time, you could try removing all the RAM, and see if the computer gives a long series of short beeps. I am guessing it probably will not, since something is definitely up somewhere, but it's still worth a shot!

ZC

PS Wanna order me a power supply tester too? :) I've lived with a multimeter for a while now because I don't really have that much money to be honest... I'm just a lonely teenager who has to get money for college :( If someone were to buy me PC-Doctor's service center kit that would be literally the best gift I've ever gotten (http://store.pcdservicecenter.com/pc-doctor-service-center-10-5-premier-kit/) But, alas, wishful thinking...

#13 MithrandirX

MithrandirX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 05:58 PM

Thanks, I'll try that too.
Wow, that pc doctor kit looks great!
I was thinking of something like that :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005CTCD6S/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1470004336&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=Power+supply+tester&dpPl=1&dpID=51F4joHuY5L&ref=plSrch

I wouldn't mind helping out to buy something similar (I can't buy that through my company since it'd be a gift so I can't afford to spend too much right now either because of my wife's health issues :( )

#14 sasschary

sasschary

• 837 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 06:01 PM

I don't see any reason why that tester wouldn't work!

Also I wasn't actually being serious, thanks for the offer though! And sorry to hear about your wife having health issues, hopefully everything gets resolved!

ZC

#15 MithrandirX

MithrandirX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 06:14 PM

Thanks for your concern.

I just tried removing all the ram sticks, and there are no beeps, but the motherboard shows a qcode 53 which is memory initialization error.

But after a few seconds (the same amount of time as usual), it turns off and restarts.

I really thought it could have been the cpu overheating and turning off, but with the new thermal paste, I guess it shouldn't be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users