Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free >5GB automatic, on-the-fly, no-backup-process-required cloud storage accoun

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 WouldBePolymath

WouldBePolymath

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:14 AM

I've got a free OneDrive account.  I got an email from MS saying that all of their free accounts are being downgraded to 5GB, effective 10 Aug.

I found 19 free cloud storage options (you may have to kill a long-running script here).

But what they DON'T tell you about each provider is whether or not using their cloud storage involves doing back ups.  I don't want that.

I want a thing like OneDrive, which automatically, on-the-fly maintains copies of your files at all times, without having to do backups.

And I'd like it with a storage capacity of more than 5GB.  For free.  Please.

Oh yeah, and without technical problems, such as those that plagued iCloud a while back.

Anybody know if and where I could get that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:23 AM

Microsoft announced the change in December, and allowed people to "opt back in" so that they could keep their 15GB, but now the offer is over: http://www.pcworld.com/article/3014183/data-center-cloud/microsoft-will-let-you-keep-your-free-15gb-of-onedrive-storage-if-you-claim-it.html

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 sasschary

sasschary

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 806 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:15 AM

Hey, WouldBePolymath!

I would suggest Google's cloud storage, Google Drive (https://drive.google.com). It gives 15GB of free space, and will automatically sync everything that you put in your local Google Drive folder. I have always used Google Drive for anything I've needed to work on at home and school, and have never had problems with it.

Good luck in your search, and if you have any more questions feel free to ask!

ZC

#4 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 02:17 PM

Hey, WouldBePolymath!

I would suggest Google's cloud storage, Google Drive (https://drive.google.com). It gives 15GB of free space, and will automatically sync everything that you put in your local Google Drive folder. I have always used Google Drive for anything I've needed to work on at home and school, and have never had problems with it.

Good luck in your search, and if you have any more questions feel free to ask!

ZC

I'm going to +1 this.

While I'm not a huge fan of Gmail - which is what I use in tandem with my Google Drive - it is FREE and mine has been working without incident for years and years.

And, as for the 15GB of free space, every year they (Google/Gmail) offer up a Security Check and if you complete it, they give you two additional Gigs worth of space. Missed it a few years ago, but I got it last year, so I'm now at 17GBs.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 01:51 PM

Around what time of year does that google drive 2 gigabytes extra get offered? I ought to do that next time it's on offer.

Edited by rp88, 03 August 2016 - 01:52 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 01:58 PM

I believe it is on, or near, Safer Internet Day 2017.

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:11 PM

What date if the year is "safer internet day"? And given you mention that, how do so many people manage to declare a certain date to be "X day", "International Y day", "national Z day" and such? Thanks
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#8 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:15 PM

What date if the year is "safer internet day"? And given you mention that, how do so many people manage to declare a certain date to be "X day", "International Y day", "national Z day" and such? Thanks

Next year - 2017 - it falls on Feb. 7th.

As for who determines what day is "X Day" or "B Day" or "Linux Day"....I have no idea.

If I did, I would make the first really cold day of the year, "Winterland Day:lol:

#9 WouldBePolymath

WouldBePolymath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:55 PM

On the assumption that I want a cloud sync service, and one that's well-established and has a large market share (so that it's unlikely that it would go out of business), and one that doesn't have a track record of data loss (like iCloud), and doesn't have any odd requirements (like Box, which requires at least 3 users), it looks like my best options would be:

• OneDrive: 5 GB free, 50 GB $1.99 / month,
• Google Drive: 15 GB free, 100 GB $1.99 / month, 1 TB $9.99 / month, OR
• Dropbox Pro: 1 TB $8.25 / month

At present I've got about 10GB of data, so I think it makes the most sense to go with a free Google Drive account and upgrade as needed.

Comments?

And also, I guess I'd just set it up from scatch (easy enough) and then simply delete my OneDrive account, right?

#10 WouldBePolymath

WouldBePolymath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 12:06 PM

I discovered that since I already have Gmail, I already also have Google Drive.  This should be a piece of cake, no?

No.

My browser is IE.

But when I try to upload a folder to Google Drive, I get "Folder upload is not supported by your browser. Consider downloading Chrome."

Well, folder upload worked fine for OneDrive, so really it's "Folder upload is not supported FOR your browser", not BY it.

Well,I don't want Chrome, thank you very much.

So an upgrade of OneDrive it is.

#11 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 30 August 2016 - 12:17 PM

You could also download the Google Drive app, so it is available like a folder, where you can copy files, and it will sync them automatically.

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#12 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 12:29 PM

I discovered that since I already have Gmail, I already also have Google Drive.  This should be a piece of cake, no?

No.

My browser is IE.

But when I try to upload a folder to Google Drive, I get "Folder upload is not supported by your browser. Consider downloading Chrome."

Well, folder upload worked fine for OneDrive, so really it's "Folder upload is not supported FOR your browser", not BY it.

It appears you've made up your mind but in case you haven't - have you considered using Firefox?

I use Firefox (and have for years and on multiple devices) with my Google Drive and it works seamlessly.

I also hate Chrome  (well, I don't hate it...)  and do not have it installed on any of my personal devices.

I like Firefox because I've got it locked down so that it saves nothing of mine, not a single password, login, history, etc. It's secure and pretty fast and I'm logged into my Gmail account (at work) 6+ hours a day and am always uploading and/or downloading files, pics, documents, etc. from my Google Drive without issues.

Hope that helps.

Winterland

#13 WouldBePolymath

WouldBePolymath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 05:25 PM

You could also download the Google Drive app, so it is available like a folder, where you can copy files, and it will sync them automatically.

-CKing

If I had seen you reply in time maybe I would have done as you suggested, but I went ahead and upgraded my OneDrive.  No big deal.

#14 WouldBePolymath

WouldBePolymath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 05:29 PM

No.

My browser is IE.

It appears you've made up your mind but in case you haven't - have you considered using Firefox?

I use Firefox (and have for years and on multiple devices) with my Google Drive and it works seamlessly.

I also hate Chrome  (well, I don't hate it...)  and do not have it installed on any of my personal devices.

I like Firefox because I've got it locked down so that it saves nothing of mine, not a single password, login, history, etc. It's secure and pretty fast and I'm logged into my Gmail account (at work) 6+ hours a day and am always uploading and/or downloading files, pics, documents, etc. from my Google Drive without issues.

Hope that helps.

Winterland

It wouldn't be so hard to get used to Firefox or Chrome, but there are MANY HUNDREDS of things like that, things that individually are no big deal, but collectively would use up all of my time if I started pursuing them, so I'm very resistant to learn new things that would be time-consuming to learn unless there are compelling reasons to do so.  Which there isn't in this case.

#15 WouldBePolymath

WouldBePolymath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 05:32 PM

Anyway, my question NOW is: how do I know FOR SURE that my OneDrive account is really converted back from read-only and is really working again?  Without bothering to do a restore, I mean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users