I've ended up with a PC that refuses to boot - gets as far as the "Starting Windows" screen, waits for a while and reboots - repeatedly.
Starting in Safe Mode, it gets as far as ClassPNP.sys before stopping (for some time) and rebooting.
- Startup Repair - fails with an error that what looks like (and what I can remember), "O/S does not match".
- I do not possess the installation DVD.
- The BIOS does not have the option to switch between IDE, ACHI, Auto, etc. The BIOS has been 'factory reset'.
- I've run CHKDSK more than once, with auto-repair (and some other option, can't remember which).
- I've run SFC with the (what I can remember as) the C:\ and C:\Windows specified, several times, each time it ends with "I've tried to fix it, but I can't". So I got the CBS.Log onto another machine, ran the command that extracts the "SR" entries into another file. When I examined that file, all of the entries looked "OK" (no errors). All of the errors I could find were to do with Windows Updates (and 'TrustedInstaller' giving up).
- "SeaTools" (nor CrystalDiskMark) report the drive as defective.
I've attached the CBS.Log, here.
What else can I check? Can anyone help, please?
Edited by r44712, 28 July 2016 - 08:36 AM.