Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to find "Boot Menu" on Dell XPS 8500

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pcasolo

pcasolo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 07:36 AM

I have a failed Windows 10 installation, Microsoft support has spent the past week trying to assist me, their latest effort is to install Windows 8.

They claim that they cannot help me further until I'm able to locate the "Boot Menu" on my Dell.  We've tried the F2 and F12 without success.

Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 07:50 AM

Why does the Microsoft want you to start boot menu?
Power down your computer and soon as you have power on the computer start tapping F12 key to boot computer into Boot Menu which where you can select a boot device or boot you computer into BIOS setup utility.
Can you tell us what has gone wrong that make the fail Windows 10 installation do you get any error?
Was the computer purchase with Windows 10 installed and without Windows 10 Setup DVD?
Is there a any version of Windows operating system already installed and working?

Edited by FreeBooter, 28 July 2016 - 07:51 AM.

2GvnEq2.gif

#3 pcasolo

pcasolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 07:57 AM

Sorry but I'm not very technically proficient but I'll attempt to answer your questions.

My Windows 10 is beyond repair, installed about 18 months ago and progressively getting worse.  It crashes often and my start time is now 17 minutes.  Many other problems too numerous to mention.

Microsoft's solution is to go back to Windows 8 via a USB boot.

They've tried several times to guide me to the "boot menu" but they're claiming it's a Dell issue, they cannot help me further until I can locate the "boot menu" on my Dell.

#4 pcasolo

pcasolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 08:05 AM

Yes we've attempted this multiple times over multiple days.  I believe the problem is that we're unable to actually execute the boot via the F12 button.

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 08:10 AM

Who ever Microsoft employed to help resolve Microsoft products issues is a idiot first your computer works with Windows 10 but after 18 months of usage Windows 10 is not working as it should be this does not mean you need to install any previous versions of Windows OS to resolve issues with Windows 10. There is only one reason you will install previous version of the Windows Operating System when Windows 10 is not compatible with your computer specs and connected devices like graphic card well if everything worked before so issue is to repair these errors but because there are so many errors you should reset Windows 10 and accept to keep your personal files when resetting the Windows 10.

Follow the instructions below website link.

"How to Reset Your Windows 10 PC"
http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/reset-windows-10-pc

Edited by FreeBooter, 28 July 2016 - 08:11 AM.

2GvnEq2.gif

#6 pcasolo

pcasolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 08:15 AM

Yes I understand what you're saying, I'm frustrated with Microsoft too.

We've attempted the Reset Windows 10 multiple times over multiple days.  It fails.

I requested the return to Windows 8, these problems have literally wasted weeks of potentially productive time.

I'll put an end to this topic, it appears that buying a new CPU is my only option, one that I was avoiding.

#7 parasush

parasush

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 08:20 AM

Press F2 or F12 a bit sooner.  The latest BIOS gives a very short interval for user intervention.  You need to press the F key before the BIOS splash comes up.  If you make changes to the BIOS, save and exit then you will see the prompts while the changes are being made and the blue bar runs across the bottom of the screen.

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 08:26 AM

Well CPU again has nothing to do with windows 10 errors i can help you reset your computer as long as i know why Reset has failed.
You can also do Repair Install Windows 10 to repair windows 10 errors.

To boost speed of your computer and Windows follow my instructions at below tutorial link.

Tweaking & Optimizing Windows

2GvnEq2.gif

#9 pcasolo

pcasolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 08:55 AM

OK thanks I will give this a try tonight.

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:09 AM

You are very welcome if any issue with repair install please if there is error message post it here at your next post so i can help you troubleshot the repair install issue.

Also you need correct version of the Windows 10 setup Media or ISO image which you can mount.  Press 7W6b39o.png keys and type Winver and click OK button at the opened About Windows window check if the Windows version is 1511 if it is then you need latest Windows Setup media you can download the Windows latest version ISO image from below link. If your Windows version not 1511 then install this upgrade from Windows Update this upgrade also can resolve issue if not then do a repair install of Windows 10.

Windows 10 ISO Downloads

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

Edited by FreeBooter, 28 July 2016 - 09:11 AM.

2GvnEq2.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users