Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Completely Format an iPad

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dragolien

Dragolien

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 05:33 AM

I have an old iPad 2 that I'm not going to be using any more, so I would like to format it so someone else can use it instead.

But I'm a bit paranoid about just using the standard factory settings reset. Is there any chance that data could be recovered after I reset it, and if so, how do I properly format the iPad?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:57 AM

Connect your Ipad to a computer, then open Itunes and click on your Ipad on the left, then under summery, click "Restore". Or see here for more instructions. 

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 29 July 2016 - 04:34 PM

Connect your Ipad to a computer, then open Itunes and click on your Ipad on the left, then under summery, click "Restore". Or see here for more instructions.

As the link states, the other option is to just use the Settings >> General >> Reset >> Erase All Content and Settings on the iPad itself. This is very similar to the Restore function when hooked up to iTunes. The only difference is the Restore function when hooked up to iTunes will also re-install the latest downloaded (to the computer) firmware for that model iPad. This is only really needed compared to "Erase All..." function on the iPad is if you think something in iOS itself got corrupted/messed up. Otherwise, there is not really any extra benefit to the Restore function.

#4 Dragolien

Dragolien
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 01:37 PM

If those are the only two options, I'll use iTunes restore. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users