Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cannot upgrade to windows 10

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Beth102

• Members
  • 60 posts
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 03:50 AM

OK I have an ASUS Intel R Core TM i3-3217U CPU 1.80 GHz    Windows 8 operating system

I backed up files and tried to install Windows 10.  Microsoft gave message that my display is NOT compatible.  So, is that a hardware issue, a software issue, or a driver issue?  Does that mean I am stuck with Windows 8 on this computer?   What do I do about it, and should I risk updating to Windows 10 if I can?  This laptop has been really good....I am disappointed if I cannot upgrade. Microsoft told me to call ASUS, and when I called ASUS they told me to call Microsoft.

Edited by Beth102, 28 July 2016 - 03:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,632 posts
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 05:52 AM

Upgrading will be a shot in the dark......you will not know what you are going to get (or not get) until you have actually done the upgrade.

I am also looking at at your cpu....1.8 Ghz...?....that is quite small. In theory it should work. But thats the theory. It would be a possible source of disappointment. Slowness especially.

However.....the story goes that you can always 'rollback' to your previous operating system.

This has had its problems /dramas.....the forum here is full of them. Some go smoothly...some not so smoothly.

Sorry to be such a misery guts, but the upgrade can be an experience to put and keep a smile on your face or it can also be just the opposite.

If you have an Image backup on an external hard drive......I would go for it and try your luck....that way you can always go back easily by simply restoring via the backup program.

if you wish to play safe, then stay with windows 8.1, and save for a new laptop.

It is probably a bit late in the "free" period to be making a decision under that pressure.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

#3 FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,135 posts
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 08:00 AM

Is the computer laptop or desktop PC?
Windows 10 most likely not compatible with your computer graphic card check your graphic card manufacturer website for Windows 10 driver for your graphic card. if your computer has a dedicated graphic card connected then you can install Windows 10 and after you have install or upgrade to Windows 10 Windows 10 will use integrated graphic controller to display images on monitor to use dedicated graphic card connected to your computer install Windows 10 compatible graphic card driver.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users