Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clean Xp Setup Wont Recognise My Hdd!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 xtatik222k

xtatik222k

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:42 AM

Hey guys. I've been trying to reinstall a new copy of Xp on the following machine:

Pentium D 2.8ghz
2 gig dual channel ddr2 ram (533)
Radeon x1600 Pro ICEQ
250 gig sata drive
sb audigy 2 value

Everytime it loads the partition screen, no partitions show up. I press any key, and get a blue screen telling me there was a page fault in a non-paged area, with reference to the file setupdd.sys.

Nothing helps, but I am thinking maybe I need to install a sata driver before setup? If so, I have no clue where to find one, as it is an Acer computer, with a no-name motherboard, ie. no drivers on the internet. What can I do? It is driving me crazy...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 07:10 AM

Nothing helps, but I am thinking maybe I need to install a sata driver before setup?

If you know that the hard drive is good, then undoubtedly this is where to start. Depending on the mobo manufacturer you should install a SATA driver first. Typically you burn it to a floppy and when you start up the Windows install disk you will be prompted to press the F6 button if you have a RAID driver to install. This prompt will only be on the screen for a few seconds. Press F6 during that time. Then a few seconds later the installation will pause and instruct you to insert your floppy and then load the driver. All will be well after that.

I think it will be hard to know what motherboard you have without even knowing what computer you have. Can you give us more info?

Also, is there Windows installed on it now? Will it run? If so, you can run Everest to find out info regarding the hardware make and models. Sorry I don't have the link at the moment, but Google Everest download and you will find it pretty easily. This program will identify the made and model of motherboard and will tell you more than you need to know regarding your hardware, but it must run within Windows.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 xtatik222k

xtatik222k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 15 August 2006 - 08:10 AM

Hey there,
thanks for the quick reply. I took your advice, installed everest, then it directed me to the manufacturing site of my mobo. There I found out I needed a SATA controller to install when setting up windows. I made a boot disc with the file on it and presto! Partitions were all showing up and everything worked! Thanks for your help, its nice to have my computer running sweet now without any of Acer's **** on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users