Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Swapping wifi card

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JimmyKarter

JimmyKarter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 01:07 AM

So I have an external wifi adapter which is USB-inserted.

By switching between my computer's adapter and this adapter, will that essentially mask my identity? Will my IP address change depending on which one is active?

I'm wondering because my external adapter has a MAC address stamped on the side of it, and I didn't know that changing a MAC was that easy.

Edited by JimmyKarter, 28 July 2016 - 01:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 08:38 AM

Basically no. If your network has IPv6 you might get a different IPv6 address but your asking about your IPv4 address, which is assigned to your router, not devices. Since your router isn't changing, only your device, your IPv4 IP wouldn't change. You can test this by going to https://whatismyipaddress.com/ on both devices.

#3 JimmyKarter

JimmyKarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 03:42 PM

Basically no. If your network has IPv6 you might get a different IPv6 address but your asking about your IPv4 address, which is assigned to your router, not devices. Since your router isn't changing, only your device, your IPv4 IP wouldn't change. You can test this by going to https://whatismyipaddress.com/ on both devices.

Thank you.

So it's purely my IP which wouldn't change?

I'm inquiring specifically because this suggests that my router assigns me an IP address?

I'm at a university and the way the university labels you, is if you sign in to the university network with your account, they identify you that way via MAC and IP address. Multiple people use a single router.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 03:56 PM

"So it's purely my IP which wouldn't change?"

Your private IP would change (192.168.x.x) but not your public IP (68.1.2.3). Your public IP is what people see when you go to their website.

"I'm inquiring specifically because this suggests that my router assigns me an IP address?"

Assuming your router uses NAT, then yes. It would have a DHCP server that hands out private IP's from a certain pool(192.168.1.2-192.168.1.100). Each IP is assigned to a certain MAC address for a certain amount of time. 

"they identify you that way via MAC and IP address"

Is that network on the "intranet"? Like do you need a VPN to access it? Or is it a public website you are signing into? Another words, can you access their network from ANY computer on ANY network?

What is the general problem you are trying to solve? Do they limit bandwidth per user? Do they not allow user to add their own routers and you are trying to get around that? I am open to helping no matter what, I just need to know what I am helping with.  :cowboy:

Edited by Trikein, 28 July 2016 - 03:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users