Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble Downloading Flash 9

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 woodman

woodman

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:07 AM

Hi All

My os system is XP & I currently use IE.

I am having problems installing Adobe Flash Player 9. I have searched my computer & I already have it installed but when I visit sites that require it, a message appears saying that Flash Player 9 is not installed and click here to upgrade. When I do, I click run then nothing else happens. I have followed adobes help topic to ensure to allow certain programmes etc but still nothing happens.

I am not sure what to do now as I need it for work. Should I uninstall everything and try again. If so, how do I do that.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Regards
Paul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FifeFlyer

FifeFlyer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 08:33 AM

Hi woodman , i would suggest the first thing you should do is test to see which version of flash player is installed on your pc. To do this click on this link , then on the "web players testing site" link. When the Macromedia flash player box appears click on the "about" tab to determine what version you are running.

If it shows you are running version 9 and you are still having problems then try a reinstall. To remove it download the uninstaller from here . Although it says it's for version 8 i have used it to remove version 9.
Once that's done download the latest version from here , reboot your pc and run the flash player test to see if all is ok then try the sites that have been giving you problems.

#3 woodman

woodman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 09:17 AM

Hi & thanks for your reply.

I have done exactly what you said but I still get the smae problem on the download page. I clcik on download and I get a box up that says run which I click. That disappears & nothing happens, so I do not know what to do now. The link you gave me said that I need the latest Flash Player and JavaScript enabled to view this content. I appear to be going round in circles.

Any further thoughts?

Paul

#4 FifeFlyer

FifeFlyer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 12:13 PM

Ok woodman , try this........to allow java scripting open up Internet Explorer and click on tools / internet options / security / and in the box where the four icons are showing , click on the internet globe. The setting for this should be default so if the default tab is not greyed out click on it and apply. This will hopefully cure the javascript error so trying going back to the test page to check what version of flash you have installed.

Let us know how it goes.

#5 woodman

woodman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 02:32 PM

Hi again

Still nothing. When I look at my add/remove programmes version 9 is there. I have see this post below on the subject but it is all a foreign language to me.

http://www.northcode.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=6024

Can I repair IE. I cant remove and install it because IE is pre-installed with Windows XP and it starts getting complicated.

Your help is appreciated

Paul

#6 FifeFlyer

FifeFlyer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 04:58 PM

I've read the link you provided and it does get a bit heavy and complicated.

Can i just confirm where we are just now.

(1) Flash player 9 shows up in add/remove.

(2) When you go to the test site you still get a message saying you need the latest flash player and javascript enabled.

(3) If you open Internet Explorer and go to tools / manage add ons / you have an active x control for flash 9 in the enabled list.

Apologies for repeating myself but as you will know there is so many possibilities why flash won't work that it's important i don't lose sight of where i am.

Please let me know about the above. In the meantime there is a couple of ways to repair IE . Don't know if it will help but i guess you've nothing to lose. Have a look here for details.

#7 woodman

woodman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 04:49 AM

Hi there

I have made a mistake with some information I gave you so apologies there. Here are the answers to your questions.

1) Flash player 9 shows up in add/remove.

NO: AFTER CHECKING AGAIN IT IS ACTUALLY VERSION 7. I CANNOT REMOVE THIS VERSION BECAUSE WHEN I PRESS REMOVE, IT SAYS I NEED A REMOVABLE DISC TO REMOVE IT AND TO INSERT DISC. I CANNOT REMEMBER EVER LOADING THIS UNLESS IT CAM WITH AN APPLICATION.

(2) When you go to the test site you still get a message saying you need the latest flash player and javascript enabled. - YES

(3) If you open Internet Explorer and go to tools / manage add ons / you have an active x control for flash 9 in the enabled list. - NO IT IS NOT THERE

Maybe if I could get rid of version 7 somehow that may help?

Thanks again & sorry for the confusion.

Paul

#8 FifeFlyer

FifeFlyer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 06:46 AM

Hi again woodman, no need to apologise. I think as you say we need to go back to square 1. Firstly lets try removing version 7.
Click on this link and download the flash player uninstaller that relates to your operating system. When you click on the download button and the download options appear on your screen , choose the "save" option. Save it to your desktop ( or somewhere you know you will be able to find it) . Once the download is complete close your browser and navigate to where you saved the download. Double click on the uninstaller to run it , and that should be you. Now go to add/remove and check if version 7 has been removed from the list.

Let me know how it goes.

#9 woodman

woodman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 07:45 AM

Ok, I done what you said and ran the uninstaller. It went through the process of removing it and at the end said it had been successfully removed but when I go it to add/remove programmes, it is still there.

#10 FifeFlyer

FifeFlyer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 08:51 AM

Ok then we have to presume that it's uninstalled correctly. The add/remove entry could be a redundant registry entry which can be removed if need be , but we'll leave for now.

Now we need to try and get you version 9.

If you go here , untick the option for installing the yahoo toolbar , read the installation instructions and then click "install now". After a few seconds , if all is well , you should receive a message saying the installation has been successful.

Fingers and toes crossed. :thumbsup:

#11 woodman

woodman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:17 AM

Same as always. I click download then nothing. I do not even get the chance to run it.
This is frustrating.

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,319 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:49 AM

One possibility may be that you are not using an administrative account.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#13 FifeFlyer

FifeFlyer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 10:12 AM

Are you seeing the same download page as me ,

Posted Image.

If so , once you've clicked on the install button it should run automatically. You shouldn't need to do anything else.

buddy215 , you're input is appreciated. I must be missing something somewhere , but for the life of me i can't think what. :thumbsup:

#14 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,319 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 11:48 AM

You haven't mentioned whether or not you have SP2.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#15 woodman

woodman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 02:29 PM

Buddy, I do have administrative control and I am using SP2 which I believe is part of the problem.

The link that you gave me Fife does not have the bit about Yahoo. There is a download now button but that is what I do press and nothing happens.

What is strange that is that it says it supports the following browsers, Firefox, Mozilla, Netscape, Opera, and CompuServe...IE is not mentioned. I do not understand why we see a different page.

Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users