Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Imaging question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rdkapp

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:49 PM

I am upgrading my Windows 7 Pro desktop computer to Windows 10, but before doing so, I want to image my system, in case the upgrade goes horribly wrong or I just don't like Windows 10.  I am new to imaging and am using Macrium Reflect - Free.  My current setup has the OS and some programs on a 120 GB SSD, as the C: drive.  My data and most programs are on a 1 TB HD storage drive (D:).

My question is as follows: If I image just the C: drive, when I go to restore, will the programs and data on the D: drive still operate correctly?  If not, is it best to (i) image both the C: drive and D: drive in their entirety, or (ii) if Macrium Reflect - Free allows, should I image the C:drive entirely and just the data and programs folders from the D: drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,047 posts
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 05:42 AM

Personally, I would image all of the partitions on your C: and D: drive to an external drive that you disconnect when the backup is complete, to prevent your images from possibly being infected or corrupted by malware.

Many C: drives have a factory reset partition.  If worse came to worst, you might need to restore the computer to factory condition.  Unlikely, but it is always good to have "insurance."

Macrium will not backup unused space, unless you select a "sector-by-sector" backup.  It will only backup what is used in each partition.

That would be my vote, but I tend to err on the side of caution.  If you are prepared for disaster, then usually there is no disaster! :)

I perform full system images of the partitions on my computers weekly.  You just never know when a hard drive might fail catastrophically or a new variant of some malware might surface that gets through your protection software defences.  If others are using your computer, it becomes even more critical to have recent images in case something goes seriously awry with your computer because another person clicked on something that they shouldn't have clicked on.

Have a great day.

Member of the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,446 posts
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 10:07 AM

rdkapp, did everything work out aok?  I ask because your C and D partition work in tandem, you did great making full images of both C and D.  If you had to restore to preWindows10/back to Windows 7, I hope you were able to restore C and D successfully.

Edited by RolandJS, 02 August 2016 - 10:08 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users