Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Case size/placement and cooling quesiton

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 j1983

j1983

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:40 PM

I have a limited space in my room, the only space for my pc is on top of a custom desk built into the wall of the room which means it's right side (facing out) of the pc is right next to the wall with less than 1cm space in between.  My current dell e521 has large vents on the front and back only, airflow is good for this type of positioning. However, I am planning on getting a new pc soon and all the case options have vents on the right side as well as the rear for the exiting airflow. 

I'm concerned the right side vents opening right into the wall will affect the airflow in a negative way. I'm wondering if it's better to block these and just allow the airflow to exit the computer towards the rear where there is four inches of space between the back of the computer and the wall. 

Also,I have the option to choose a coolermaster 343 and 344 which are both 7.2'' wide, and some other brands which are slightly smaller at around 6.8'' wide, there is even a coolermaster 361 which is 5.9'' wide. It makes every bit of sense to maximise the limited amount of desk space I have so I would like to go with a slimmer case but I'm not sure if slimmer cases are better or worse with regard to airflow, especially with the type of positioning I have with one side blocked off.

Edited by hamluis, 29 July 2016 - 12:51 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,800 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 11:53 PM

The inside of the case, whatever size, can be setup with air flow any way you choose.  Some 3 by 5 cards cut and placed to channel incoming air to the vital points and exhausting where you'd like.  Other vents can be blocked or used to take in cooler air.  Fans can be placed either way, blowing out or sucking in.  High volume flows can be achieved with multiple intake and a free exhaust(no fan).

#3 nkim5252

nkim5252

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 08:39 PM

Hey j1983!

Correct me if I'm wrong. By right-side vents, you are talking about configurations such as the one in the image where air is going directly through the side panel.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/11-139-010-TS?$S640W$

1cm of space does seem like a tight fit between the wall and your desktop, and is very prone to accumulating dust with a somewhat restricted airflow. If you were to opt for any of the case options above, I would highly recommend the 3x5 card solution that the person prior to me suggested. You could even go as far as to uninstall the side panel fan.

I believe this has already been answered by the person above, but I'll try and write up a different solution for you.

Hope this helps!

Edited by hamluis, 30 July 2016 - 01:00 PM.
Removed strike-throughs - Hamluis.

#4 j1983

j1983
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:09 PM

Thanks guys.

The pictured case is indeed the type of case that's available. My configuration at first would be the stock config with only one front fan and no fans on the side or rear, until I figure out where the best place to add them considering my limited case placement options. 

The cases you suggested are not readily available here. I've narrowed it down to the Cooler Master 334, 343, maybe the 361. The 361 is more narrow but I just realized the psu would be at the front crammed right next to the dvd and right above the hdd's which I'm not sure if it's a good configuration or if internal positioning matters that much.   I'm also looking at the Silverstone ps08, ps09, and ps12, all three of which are shorter in height and length so they are ideal for the limited space I have. 

Rule of thumb: Don't buy something with an open side panel vents.

Do you mean the type of vents available on these cases?

All these cases have vents on the right side (facing out) which means if I put a fan there, it would be blowing hot air right into the wall. I was thinking either block it or get a fan to suck air in, rather than blowing out, and channel it to the rear.

#5 nkim5252

nkim5252

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 11:03 PM

Sorry, my bad. Please disregard my post above. My intention wasn't to exhaust air right in to the wall. I was confused with your configuration at first. My initial interpretation of this post was that you wanted to orient the PC so that the main side panel, the one that opens up to the components, would be directly adjacent to the wall. Clearly, I'm illiterate. Ideally, to to as you stated above, you would orient the case fan to blow air out of the case. And yes, if the side panel that opens to the cables has vents, I would highly recommend you block it. Though today, it's unusual for a case to have vents on the right side panel unless the motherboard is mounted horizontally. However, these cases may have been an exception.

Sorry if my previous post wasn't of much help to you. Also, do you care for vents and a side panel fan on the left side panel? And what other cases are readily available in your area? I was looking at the 361, too and saw there was little breathing room, no support for cable management, little room to upgrade, and a crammed PSU. I'm not sure how you would go about mounting the PSU but you'd need to do so in a manner that won't restrict airflow on it's top. I believe that's why the right side panel has vents.

Rule of thumb: Don't buy something with an open side panel vents.

Prior to your post, I edited that line to say "Don't buy something with an open side panel vents unless it's either windowed, or it's an inverted case." My original intention was for you to go about searching for cases with those specifications. I realized that my original interpretation of your post was wrong.

FYI: Whenever you have a question about setup, it would greatly help the illiterate, such as myself, to include a diagram or picture.

Edited by nkim5252, 30 July 2016 - 12:57 AM.

#6 j1983

j1983
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 09:22 AM

I think it may have been my wording that caused all the confusion as I am now even more confused.  Basically I was wondering if it was better to have the exposed side vent, which in this configuration is facing the wall less than 1 cm away, to be sealed off to allow airflow to the rear of the case rather than leaving it open or having a fan blow air right into the wall. It's not something I'm in a rush to find as I'm actually looking forward to trying out different options once I get the new case. 

I've now narrowed it down to either the Coolermaster 344 or the Silverstone ps12. I really like the large mesh front on the silverstone but I'm wondering  about whether there is a difference between a case with a large front grill like the PS12 or smaller vents around the side and bottom like the 344.  Both have fans at the front to suck in air but I don't know if the bigger grill will necessarily be more efficient than the smaller vents. 

One other thing, is hdd placement. The two cases both have a hard drive cage that holds multiple hdd's. The coolermaster drives have some separation between each hdd while the Silverston drives are right up next to each other. It seems like a bit of separation would be better for good airflow or breathability between drives that generate a lot of heat. 

Edited by hamluis, 30 July 2016 - 01:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users