Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

igpu comparison

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 j1983

j1983

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:13 PM

I'm choosing between an i-5 4460 and an i3-6100 processors.  The 4460 uses Intel HD Graphics 4460 while the newer 6100 uses Intel HD graphics 530. 

It's really hard for me to figure this out since I don't know what benchmarks mean and I don't really understand the specs. All sites indicate the newer 530 is better but from what i read they are mostly quite similar apart from the Graphics video Max Memory which is 2gb on the 4460 and up to 64gb on the 530.

I don't understand what that means apart from the fact that it's memory it takes from the motherboards ram. There is quite a significant difference between 2gb and up to 64 gb but i don't know if this is a figure to be focusing on in this comparison.

I'm trying to determine which is better for my needs, if I get the 530 will it allow me to cut costs and save on a dedicated gpu (which i don't have much of a budget for), or if I get the 4460, will I need to buy a separate gpu and if so, what are the recommended minimum requirements. 

I use my pc for basic everyday computing, multiple tabs, wmp or vlc, watching livestreams which my 10 year old pc handles quite well.  I do ocassionally use photoshop and I've been planning on doing some very minor and basic video editing for 720 and 1080 clips from my camera. Very minor stuff like cutting and shortening clips, maybe combining multiple different clips together, nothing fancy. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 12:29 AM

The HD 530 is the better iGPU, but not because of the max video memory (which is pretty much irrelevant).  Both of these solutions share memory with the rest of the system (some fixed amount of memory is reserved by the BIOS, but more can be dynamically allocated as needed) but it's pretty unlikely anything you'll be doing with an integrated GPU will need more than 2 Gb of video memory.  The Skylake GPU has more execution units, at 24 vs 20 (essentially similar to "cores" on a GPU) and with various improvements, is quite a bit faster overall compared to the HD 4600, but this is very dependent on the software you are using.  It also supports hardware acceleration of newer video codecs like HEVC used in ultra HD video.  The uses you mention will be fine on integrated graphics (either HD 4600 or HD 530) in my opinion.

Gaming benchmarks on iGPU's

Productivity benchmarks on iGPU's

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users