Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird problem. Can't get a file server to connect with two NICs

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 nawuef

nawuef

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:58 PM

So basically, all my computers for a client have two NICs each; the WiFi NICs have Internet access piggybacking off a local tenant’s WiFi network while the hard-wired NICs temporarily do not have Internet until the ISP in the building brings in the circuit next week. Since the WiFi NICs allow them to get to the Internet it doesn't matter for now that the hard-wired NICs don't, but they need their hard-wired NICs to get them to their local file server, and ever since they lost their Internet connection on the hard-wire network this week (due to an account suspension) they’ve lost access to their local file server, which doesn’t make sense to me (it’s definitely shared right with correct permissions). Pings to the file server name fail with "Ping request could not find host cofileserver. Please check the name and try again". I’m sure this is simple and I’m just having a brainfart.

Here's the setup:

5 total computers

All Windows 10 Pro

All of them have two NICs each, a wired NIC and a WiFi NIC (a couple are built-in and the rest are WiFi USB adapters). See below for setup: 

-        Desktop1: hardwired to TP-Link SG108 switch, which is connected to Netgear WNR3500 router

-        Desktop2: hardwired to TP-Link SG108 switch, which is connected to Netgear WNR3500 router

-        Desktop3: hardwired directly to Netgear WNR3500 router

-        Desktop4: hardwired directly to Netgear WNR3500 router

-        FileServer: hardwired directly to Netgear WNR3500 router

-        Netgear WNR3500: IP address is 10.0.0.1, and it’s set as DHCP server with a default range from .2 to .254.

All 5 computer’s hard-wired NICs have static IP addresses of 10.0.0.x with a mask of 255.255.255.0, default gateway of 10.0.0.1 and primary DNS server of 10.0.0.1, even though there’s not an Internet connection yet. Should I leave the primary DNS server IP setting blank for the file server and the rest of the desktops too? None of the desktops can connect to the local file server whether they’re connected to the Netgear router or TP-Link switch. I'm thinking that maybe it’s some default NIC configuration I need to set? When I try to ping the local directly hard-wired file server, maybe each PC wants to use the WiFi NIC to ping it, and that's why connection fails? By the way, the WiFi network is using a completely different class C private IP address so that’s not an issue.

I'm also thinking there's an outside shot I should use a crossover cable to connect the TP-Link switch to the Netgear router, but I'm under the impression that crossover cables have been largely unnecessary for a while due to auto-mdix (see here). The Netgear router and TP-Link switch are both recently manufactured. 

Any help is of course greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users