Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ordering new business laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jkesselr

jkesselr

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:47 PM

Alright guys, I am a newb with limited technical knowledge. I am looking to spec out a new laptop for my business which is comprised of largely clerical work utilizing the MS Office suite. There is heavy internet usage, some large spreadsheet manipulation, large powerpoint presentations and some video playback. I need a machine that is lightning fast and absolutely reliable. It also has to have the ability to mount to a true docking station, as opposed to one of those USB contraptions. As a small business, I don't have unlimited funds, but anticipate spending $2000-$3000 on a new laptop. I cannot afford to get it wrong the first time though guys.

I have a tendency to buy bleeding edge tried and true technology to ensure that it is not only stable, but relevant for the longest duration possible. The machine I am replacing is a Dell Latitude D630 that I upgraded heavily when I purchased it. It has been an absolute workhorse for me for nearly ten years now. It is time to put it out to pasture and replace it with a newer and better machine that hopefully will give me similar reliability results.

I am considering four potential machines at this point, but am open to additional suggestions if you are so inclined. I am considering the Dell Latitude, Dell Precision, Lenovo X series, or Lenovo X series. I am looking at 14-15" machines. Which of these machines is the best to go with and why? How would you spec it out and why? I am considering i7 or Xeon processors, which would you recommend and why? Someone suggested an i5 as being more reliable than an i7, is this true? How much RAM is appropriate? touch or no touch screen? What are your thoughts on the service plans and virus protection plans offered by these companies, in light of the fact that I am not as tech savvy as y'all.

I guess in short, given the considerations I have outlined, if you could build the best machine for that purpose, what would it be?

Thank you in advance for any recommendations you can make or advice you can give!  

Edited by hamluis, 28 July 2016 - 12:41 PM.
Moved from System Building to Buying New Computer - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 07:11 AM

I am considering i7 or Xeon processors, which would you recommend and why? Someone suggested an i5 as being more reliable than an i7, is this true? How much RAM is appropriate? touch or no touch screen? What are your thoughts on the service plans and virus protection plans offered by these companies, in light of the fact that I am not as tech savvy as y'all.

The lower end Xeon CPUs used for laptops (the high end ones are server/workstation only) are actually just i7's, i5's, and i3's. The difference for why the rename them to Xeon is that they are tested to be- more stable/reliable, draw less power, and put off less heat. In other words they're exactly what you're looking for.  

Right now, for what you described, 8GB of RAM would fit what you asked. Anymore then that would be overkill, but 16GB would be the cap to how much you'd want to get. 

If you can, I'd get a touch screen, but it's not required. It may not seem that important since you've always used a mouse for windows, but once you had it for awhile you'll realize how useful it is. Makes laptop use without a mouse a million times easier then having to use the touch pad, or on a Lenovo also the mouse "pointing stick". The downside is that the screen costs more to replace in the case that you accidentally break it somehow (IE slamming it shut with a phone/other item on it, dropping it, ETC). 

For virus protection, among other things, what computers usually come with pre-installed (and what the companies offer additionally for it) is usually garbage and only there because X company offered them money to put it on there. I'd recommend, and I think everyone else on the site would as well, Kaspersky if you're serious about your anti-virus.

https://www.Kaspersky.com 

If you want a free option, Avast is considered to have one of the best free options. 

https://www.avast.com/

I am considering four potential machines at this point, but am open to additional suggestions if you are so inclined. I am considering the Dell Latitude, Dell Precision, Lenovo X series, or Lenovo X series. I am looking at 14-15" machines. Which of these machines is the best to go with and why? 

Lenovo and their Thinkpad line (with the X series as part of it) is a highly respected brand in terms of reliability. Professional Dell and HP computers, though not weak or bad quality, are usually only used for professional use over Lenovo Thinkpads because HP and Dell offer lower pricing then Lenovo does on bulk deals and/or with contracts to exclusively use their products. That said, those contracts will also sometimes include free repairs or other free services. So if where you work is in one of said contracts, buying a computer through your company from them can be beneficial for that sudo extended warranty.  

I'd personally recommend the Lenovo ThinkPad P50. Click here for their page on it. You can separately buy a dock to go with it for another 300$- click here for that. 

Why it? It's their cheapest professional graded laptop with a Xeon CPU. Like I siad, a Xeon CPU being exactly what you described. All models come with a SSD as the main drive (much more stable, faster, reliable, and resilient to drops). Lastly it's a Lenovo Thinkpad, which is like the Nokia of laptops.  

I don't recommend the Lenovo X series for four reasons. One is there's no docking options. Second is that they use a i5/i7 instead of a Xeon. Third is that "flip-book" designs like that are notorious for having the hinges give out.

Fourth is that slimmer profile laptops like them are just physically weaker in general. When you make something thinner, it becomes less structurally stable. It has nothing to do with weather they're a good manufacture or not- the design choice is simply inherently weak. 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#3 protjini

protjini

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:08 AM

There are many wonderful reviews about Lenovo ThinkPad 13 and a friend of mine uses it for his growing business. You could consider this brand if you want a productive laptop to work on.

#4 lephonghau

lephonghau

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 04:13 AM

I suggest model HP Probook 450 G2 with chipset Core i5, memory 4GB DDR3 and 500GB HDD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users