Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Java Puzzle

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 whatapalaver

whatapalaver

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 05:58 AM

I apologise if this is an inappropriate forum for my question.

Java 2 Runtime Environment Standard Edition v.1.2.2 is in my add/remove programmes. I have no idea why it is there. I have Googled for Java and searched for a plain speaking site that will tell me what Java is, what it does, and what I can do with it, but I have seen nothing but gobble-de-gook.

What is Java? What does it do? Is there a reason why it should be in my computer?

I am a simple man, an advocate of plain speaking. Will someone direct me to a site that will educate me, and not confuse me?

Best wishes. whatapalaver

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FifeFlyer

FifeFlyer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:39 AM

Hi whatapalaver , first thing is your version of java is out of date . As some earlier versions are vulnerable to exploits , which can be used to infect your computer , it would be best if they were removed. This can be done via add/remove Programs.
Once that is done reboot your pc and download the latest version from here . Choose the JRE 5.0 Update 8 download half way down the page.

There is a link here to some basic java questions but as you've already said most other information on the web can appear gobble-de-gook.
I think you're safe in the knowledge that java is a benefit to your internet experience and most pc users have it.

Hope this helps a little.

#3 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 09:07 AM

An object-oriented programming language created by Sun Microsystems. Java is a device-independent language, meaning that programs compiled in Java can be run on any computer.

The above is from Answers.com which has about the simplest definitions I've found.
http://www.answers.com/topic/java-programming-language
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#4 whatapalaver

whatapalaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 09:08 AM

Thank you FifeFlyer. I found the JRE 5.0 Update 8 [in the 1st link]. It has a Security Info window that says that there are secure and insecure items. Which do you recommend? I have had a look at both [without downloading anything] and each has a selection of downloads. I shall be very grateful if you will point the way and then I will retire to study the basic Java questions. [in the 2nd link]

Best wishes. whatapalaver

#5 FifeFlyer

FifeFlyer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 11:41 AM

Hi again whatapalaver , sorry about that. I presume by the secure / insecure message you're getting , you are using Internet Explorer. ( i converted to firefox many moons ago and don't have this problem )
When the warning appears click on the "more info" box for an explanation of what it means.

As the site is perfectly safe just click the "yes" button , then click to accept the license agreement , and if you are using the windows operating system ( as most of us are ), choose the "windows online installation" 7.10 mb. ( under the windows platform box......2cnd option )

Edited by FifeFlyer, 14 August 2006 - 11:46 AM.

#6 whatapalaver

whatapalaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 02:41 PM

Good Evening FifeFlyer,

Many thanks. The download and installation of 5/update8 was successful. That Help site you recommended will be read tonight, in bed. JAVA is beginning to 'click'.

Best wishes whatapalaver

#7 FifeFlyer

FifeFlyer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 04:12 PM

Good stuff.......... thanks for letting us know. :thumbsup: I too will be reading about java to-night........thanks for the excellent link KoanYorel . :flowers:

Regards all.

#8 Lonster

Lonster

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2006 - 12:46 PM

:thumbsup: See the following related Wikipedia articles:

Java programming language
Runtime.

I hope those help. Note they also contain hotlinks to other terms used in the articles, for further explorations if you are so inclined.

Cheers!
:flowers:
"Applying computer technology is simply a matter of
finding the best wrench to pound in the correct screw."

- Guru Tru Yahu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users