Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Play YouTube without having Movie Maker open

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 tbakes68

tbakes68

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:38 PM

Hello, for the past several months, after installing Windows 10, I haven't been able to play YouTube or other video on my laptop (not just exclusive to Chrome) without having windows Movie Maker open, which also takes several attempts and crashes to open. I've included a screenshot to show how the video loads up and everything, but will not play. I've searched the internet for this topic, but haven't come up with any fix. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:42 PM

windows movie maker has absolutely nothing to do with YouTube so that's odd right off the bat, try installing the Flash PPAPI plugin for chrome and see if that fixes the issue.

https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/enabling-flash-player-chrome.html

Edited by Viper_Security, 27 July 2016 - 06:45 PM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#3 tbakes68

tbakes68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:10 PM

windows movie maker has absolutely nothing to do with YouTube so that's odd right off the bat, try installing the Flash PPAPI plugin for chrome and see if that fixes the issue.

https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/enabling-flash-player-chrome.html

I've done what you said, yet the problem is still there. YouTube and Chrome is not the only problem though, Windows Media Player also does not work, along with other programs. I have noticed that Chrome says the the PPAPI is out of process, now that you've shown me where that plugin page is. Does that mean anything? Any other suggestions? Thanks for your reply.

Attached Files

#4 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:18 PM

hm, ill see see if i can get someone else to reply, i use FF myself and haven't had any issues, my apologies on not being able to help rectify the issue.

Adobe Flash Player in chrome runs in "out-of-process" mode, which means it runs in a separate compartment and memory space that is distinct and apart from the main browser process and webpages.

have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling chrome?

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#5 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:23 PM

Hello tbakes68 and :welcome: to Bleeping Computer

We need some more information about this:

Go to any video on youtube, and right click > Stats for nerds (yes, Google actually renamed what used to be Details to this)

Copy everything on the box that shows up, and paste it

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#6 tbakes68

tbakes68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:23 PM

hm, ill see see if i can get someone else to reply, i use FF myself and haven't had any issues, my apologies on not being able to help rectify the issue.

Adobe Flash Player in chrome runs in "out-of-process" mode, which means it runs in a separate compartment and memory space that is distinct and apart from the main browser process and webpages.

have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling chrome?

I really appreciate your help. I did try uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome just last week. 

#7 tbakes68

tbakes68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:25 PM

Hello tbakes68 and :welcome: to Bleeping Computer

We need some more information about this:

Go to any video on youtube, and right click > Stats for nerds (yes, Google actually renamed what used to be Details to this)

Copy everything on the box that shows up, and paste it

-CKing

Thanks for your help!

Video ID:
-m7e7tCn7Bk
Dimensions:
854 x 480
Resolution:
1280 x 720@30
Volume:
70%
Stream Host:
r1---sn-vgqs7ns7
Stream Type:
https
CPN:
tFZoD6qhzWft2sE2
Mime Type:
video/webm; codecs="vp9"
DASH:
yes (247/251)
Connection Speed:
8116 Kbps
Buffer Health:
70.0 s
Dropped Frames:
0/4

Edited by tbakes68, 27 July 2016 - 07:26 PM.

#8 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:31 PM

So, hardware acceleration is not being used because the video is encoded in VP9, so we can rule that out

Can you play a youtube video in Microsoft Edge, and post back with Stats for Nerds? Let us know if the video is playing and not giving you a loading (spinning/buffering icon). Edge doesn't support the WebM/VP8 or VP9 encoding so that will rule out if software encoding is too taxing on your system

-CKing

Edited by CKing123, 27 July 2016 - 07:32 PM.

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Github | Keybase

#9 tbakes68

tbakes68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:39 PM

So, hardware acceleration is not being used because the video is encoded in VP9, so we can rule that out

Can you play a youtube video in Microsoft Edge, and post back with Stats for Nerds? Let us know if the video is playing and not giving you a loading (spinning/buffering icon). Edge doesn't support the WebM/VP8 or VP9 encoding so that will rule out if software encoding is too taxing on your system

-CKing

In Edge, the video does eventually start playing, after a little time of the spinning icon. Thanks again for the help.

Video ID:
1yjREqdJzsc
Dimensions:
854 x 480
Resolution:
854 x 480@24
Volume:
100%
Stream Host:
r1---sn-vgqs7ns7
Stream Type:
https
CPN:
cBwRrpoSWQtboR6i
Mime Type:
video/mp4; codecs="avc1.4d401e"
DASH:
yes (135/140)
Protected:
Connection Speed:
11231 Kbps
Buffer Health:
148.8 s
Live Latency:
0.0 s, Optimized for Smooth Streaming
Dropped Frames:

#10 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:49 PM

Seems to be that your computer is just slow at starting the video! In your first post:

Hello, for the past several months, after installing Windows 10, I haven't been able to play YouTube or other video on my laptop (not just exclusive to Chrome) without having windows Movie Maker open, which also takes several attempts and crashes to open

Like @Viper_Security said, Windows Movie Maker is likely not connected to this. It is far more likely, that after all the crashes, etc when the Movie Maker finally opens, by then there was enough time on decoding that your video finally began. There is an exception to this, and that is buggy drivers when hardware acceleration was on, which we ruled out because Chrome, by default uses VP9.

What are the specs of your computer? Lets make Chrome a little bit faster, shall we ;)

First of all, go to Chrome's address bar and type this: chrome://gpu

Take a screenshot of it. Lets see if your computer supports hardware acceleration

-CKing

Github | Keybase

#11 tbakes68

tbakes68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:57 PM

Seems to be that your computer is just slow at starting the video! In your first post:

Hello, for the past several months, after installing Windows 10, I haven't been able to play YouTube or other video on my laptop (not just exclusive to Chrome) without having windows Movie Maker open, which also takes several attempts and crashes to open

Like @Viper_Security said, Windows Movie Maker is likely not connected to this. It is far more likely, that after all the crashes, etc when the Movie Maker finally opens, by then there was enough time on decoding that your video finally began. There is an exception to this, and that is buggy drivers when hardware acceleration was on, which we ruled out because Chrome, by default uses VP9.

What are the specs of your computer? Lets make Chrome a little bit faster, shall we ;)

First of all, go to Chrome's address bar and type this: chrome://gpu

Take a screenshot of it. Lets see if your computer supports hardware acceleration

-CKing

Very interesting. Once Movie Maker is open, videos do start instantly, though (once I leave it open). Here's that screenshot:

Attached Files

#12 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:16 PM

Your computer supports hardware acceleration :)

Use h264ify extension. See here why. That should help improve video decoding

-CKing

Github | Keybase

#13 tbakes68

tbakes68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:35 PM

Your computer supports hardware acceleration :)

Use h264ify extension. See here why. That should help improve video decoding

-CKing

Thanks a lot for the help! That does help the video load up after a second! I really appreciate it!

#14 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:36 PM

You are welcome :) Glad it solved the problem!

-CKing

Github | Keybase

#15 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:07 AM

We should also deal with Windows Movie Maker and Windows Media Player issues you have mentioned like how Windows Movie Maker crashes or does not open at all . First make sure you have installed all Windows updates.

Install latest version of graphic card driver you can download the latest version of the driver from graphic card manufacturer support site.

Open an elevated Command Prompt window (press win + X, and then press A)

Run below command from Command Prompt that is open as administrator.

Sfc  /Scannow

You would use DISM to fix Windows component store corruption when a sfc /scannow command is unable to repair corrupted or modified system files because the component store (source) is corrupted.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

SFC should be able to repair the files afterwards. Execute below command to make sure corrupted system files repaired.

Sfc  /Scannow

Check to see issue has been resolved if not follow below steps.

Step 1: Uninstall Windows Media Player
Open up Control Panel --> Programs and Features, and then click on Turn Windows features on or off.
Go down to Media Features –> Windows Media Player clear the check mark for the Windows Media Player.

Step 2: Reboot

Step 3: Turn Windows Media Player Back On
Head back into Windows Features on or off, and check the box again.

At this point hopefully your problem should be solved.

If issue has not been resolved with Windows Media player then follow below steps.

Step 1:  Uninstall all third party installed codec packs.

Step 2:  Open Control Panel --> Troubleshooting --> Programs and use the Windows Media Player troubleshooting tools.

If issue still not resolved please tell us if there is error message displayed.
Use Event Viewer to check errors and warning logs to see there is any clue to what is causing the issue with Windows Media Player. 

You can try to repair install Windows Essentials apps which include Windows Movie Maker.

1. Press 7W6b39o.png keys and type wlarp into opened Run dialog box and click OK button.

2.  At opened Uninstall or Repair Windows Essentials Programs window select "Repair all Windows Essentials programs".

Hopefully this will resolve the issue with Windows Movie Maker if not then uninstall Windows Movie Maker or all Windows Essentials apps from Uninstall or Repair Windows Essentials Programs window and reinstall the uninstalled Windows Essentials  apps with from below Windows Essentials download link.

Download Windows Essentials to reinstall Windows Movie Maker
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17779/download-windows-essentials

Edited by FreeBooter, 28 July 2016 - 10:09 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users