Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

want ipad only to connect to 1 wifi no others

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bucko3030

Bucko3030

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:27 PM

I want my Ipad to connect to my wifi only and when its not here not able to connect to any other wifi is there a way to do this or software I could install?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:03 PM

Not that I know of. Why not just turn off your wifi when you are away?

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:59 PM

An iOS device will not connect to a WiFi network unless you select that network from Setting app and, if necessary, enter the password for that network (if it has no network, then just selecting that network will join it).

The exception to this is "known networks"...i.e. networks you have connect to before...or networks that have the same name and password as networks you have connect to before...will be connected to automatically.

So, if you only connect to your network and your network does not have the same SSID and password as some other network at another location*, then it will not connect to any other networks.

* I mention this because in the past the default SSID of Linksys routers was "Linksys" with no password. If you had a Linksys router and did not change those default settings (as many people did not do), then any network with the name "Linksys" and no password would automatically be joined with your iOS device. "Bad guys" would take advantage of this and put up "fake" Linksys wifi networks to try to hack phones, etc.

And if do not have the "Ask to Join Networks" setting set to on, then your iOS device will not bug you to join other networks.

Edited by smax013, 27 July 2016 - 09:00 PM.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:17 PM

I took OP as meaning that they wanted the Ipad to not be allowed to connect to other networks, not that it wouldn't automatically.  Perhap is the reason WHY this is wanted might give some insight.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:26 PM

I took OP as meaning that they wanted the Ipad to not be allowed to connect to other networks, not that it wouldn't automatically.  Perhap is the reason WHY this is wanted might give some insight.

If that is the case, then I am not aware of anything that would stop this other than maybe turning on Guided Access in Accessibility in General in Settings. This will prevent access to the Setting app without the Guided Access passcode, but then it locks that iPad into using one App until the passcode is entered to turn off Guided Access. So, the original poster would need to take back the iPad from whoever is using it to enter the passcode to exit Guided Access, switch to the new app, and then re-start Guided Access.

#6 Bucko3030

Bucko3030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:53 AM

ya its because I control my wifi with my firewall and know what everyone is doing I don't want them to take the ipad somewhere eles and be able to connect to there wifi

#7 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:00 AM

"I don't want them to take the ipad somewhere eles"

Who is "them"? Do you mean if someone steals your Ipad? If so, I would look into "Find my phone" and other GPS tracking and remote access apps. Another words, if someone steals your Ipad, you WANT them to connect to wifi and GPS so you can find them. 

#8 Bucko3030

Bucko3030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 03:49 PM

my kids or workers that use these ipads I want to control what these ipad get on line right now I have open dns that controls my connection but if they take the lpads someplace else then I have no control

#9 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 04:30 PM

You could use a product like Family Protector from Intego. I am sure there are other similar type services out there, but this is the one of which I am aware.

It might do what you are ultimate after...i.e. control/monitor the activities done on the iPads you own and let your kids or workers use.

It is designed to (parental) "control" (I put the parental part in the parenthesis since you are not just wanting to control kids activities, but you are in essence use what are typically call parental controls) iOS devices every where that there is an Internet connection. It is no foolproof (it appears used can turn on WiFi mode, but then the cannot access the Internet anyway), but it might do what you need it to do.

Of course, it is not free.

Your only other option that I can think of is the use the restrictions settings under Settings >> General >> Restrictions. It will work well for stuff bought/accessed through Apple's "walled garden" (i.e. iTunes purchases such a books, movies, TV shows, explicit music). There is a website filter that will "limit" adult content automatically, but it seems pretty weak by itself. You can manually add websites to block, but you could spend 5 days entering websites to block and there would likely still be millions out there that could be found.

Those are the only two options that I am aware of to basically do what you want to do. I am not aware of any way to prevent someone who is using the iOS device from connecting to another WiFi network. It is possible that if you jailbreak the iPad(s) that there might be way, but since I don't jailbreak my iOS devices, I have no clue if there really is such an option on jailbroken iOS devices. Probably, your best option is something like Intego's Family Protector...or just have to trust your kids (with spot checks of what they are doing as a parent should do) and/or employees (spot checks are tougher to justify with employees without causing resentment)...or just not give iPads to your kids or employees to use if you don't trust them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users