Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Onboard Modem Deleted - Can't Connect to Internet

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 masterkaga

masterkaga

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:04 PM

I couldn't connect to the internet so I opened Device Manager and refreshed my onboard modem. It still wouldn't connect so I uninstalled it and tried to reinstall. No go. Now "Network Adapters" are only viewable in hidden mode and they are now renamed as RRNetCap mini port and "Microsoft ISATAP Adapter". I have tried to update my modem but it doesn't work. Device Manager does not show my modem and when I open the upgrade program nothing changes. I have Windows 7 64 and an onboard Marvell Yukon modem on an American Megatrends Inc motherboard.
I do not want to flash my motherboard, because the AMI website is very sketchy about the older model I have. I don't trust their updater.
Does anyone have any ideas on what to try?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:18 PM

What model motherboard is it?

#3 masterkaga

masterkaga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:21 PM

One moment

Edited by masterkaga, 27 July 2016 - 05:27 PM.

#4 masterkaga

masterkaga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:26 PM

American Megatrends Inc. PO1-B0 (I think I'm reading this right)
SMBIOS ver. 2.5

Edited by masterkaga, 27 July 2016 - 05:30 PM.

#5 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:37 PM

I think you are looking at the BIOS designer and not the hardware manufacture. AMI does a lot of work for Acer. Can you open the case and look on the motherboard itself for a model? Sometimes it's listed under BIOS>General. 

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:56 PM

Did you reboot after you uninstalled?

#7 masterkaga

masterkaga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:57 PM

I think you are looking at the BIOS designer and not the hardware manufacture. AMI does a lot of work for Acer. Can you open the case and look on the motherboard itself for a model? Sometimes it's listed under BIOS>General.

Sorry, I can't tell. I can tell you it's a Gateway computer, if that helps.
How do you access BIOS>General?

#8 masterkaga

masterkaga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:59 PM

Did you reboot after you uninstalled?

Yes, l have.

#9 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:01 PM

If its a gateway desktop, then the model number should be printed on the case somewhere. if its a laptop, it will usually be on a sticker on the bottom. If you can't find it, try this going here and clicking on "Auto detect my serial number" and then search by that serial number. 

Edited by Trikein, 27 July 2016 - 06:01 PM.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:33 PM

I asked because after uninstalling a reboot will allow Windows to find on-board devices as new hardware and Windows will install generic drivers. It appears that did not happen in your case. And I have no experience with on-board modems so I really don't know if Windows will find it as new hardware.

#11 masterkaga

masterkaga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:36 PM

I asked because after uninstalling a reboot will allow Windows to find on-board devices as new hardware and Windows will install generic drivers. It appears that did not happen in your case. And I have no experience with on-board modems so I really don't know if Windows will find it as new hardware.

It installed the generic drivers immediately after I deleted the right one. I know better now.

#12 masterkaga

masterkaga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:39 PM

If its a gateway desktop, then the model number should be printed on the case somewhere. if its a laptop, it will usually be on a sticker on the bottom. If you can't find it, try this going here and clicking on "Auto detect my serial number" and then search by that serial number.

I see the BIOS and the drivers, which do you suggest I try? The drivers first, and then if it doesn't work, then try the BIOS?

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:45 PM

You could try something simple first.
How about SYSTEM RESTORE to a point just before you deleted the drivers then uninstalled? This will work only if you have past restore points to choose from.

It may (or may not) work.

#14 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:49 PM

Just the driver for the modem. You shouldn't need to touch the BIOS. If you want to know which driver exactly, what did it say the model number or S/N was? 

Also, do you use a dial up as a ISP? You sure your not looking for your NIC/Ethernet driver?

#15 masterkaga

masterkaga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:00 PM

Just the driver for the modem. You shouldn't need to touch the BIOS. If you want to know which driver exactly, what did it say the model number or S/N was? 

Also, do you use a dial up as a ISP? You sure your not looking for your NIC/Ethernet driver?

I think I need Ethernet drivers. I tried the Marvell Yukon driver and nothing happened but it tell me that the driver I currently have installed is newer than this one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users