Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will not turn on!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Jimmy1231

Jimmy1231

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 02:47 PM

My computer won't turn on. I'm not sure if it is the cpu or not. Is there any way to check that? Additionally, I've tried moving the RAM to different sockets, but that doesn't seem to make a difference. Please tell me some resolutions that may help my computer turn on!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jimmy1231

Jimmy1231
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 02:59 PM

Can you help find the hardware I have to replace?? Thanks

#3 sasschary

sasschary

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 806 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:07 PM

Hey, Jimmy1231, and welcome to the forum!

The good news here is that, unless you have overclocked your CPU and it was not properly cooled, the CPU is probably not the problem.

You say that your computer will not turn on; could you please be more specific? Does anything turn on at all, such as fans or anything, or does it remain completely powerless? If there are no fans running, the problem is probably something to do with power to the computer.

I'll be glad to help you figure out what needs to be replaced, if anything!

ZC

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:24 PM

Above plus we need to know your computer manufacturer and model (if OEM) or computer parts (if custom).

#5 Jimmy1231

Jimmy1231
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:03 PM

Thanks all! My motherboard model is military class 4 Z87-G41 and cpu is i5 4690. And yes no fans turn on except the power button logo of every computer that glows when i plug the power in the psi as it is on. This is a custom computer by the way. Do you need to see any photos I can post on here of my computer??

Thanks again!!

Sincerely.

Jim

#6 sasschary

sasschary

• 806 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:14 PM

I don't think pictures should be necessary, but if you'd like to post them for others, you can go for it.

If you have not done so already, you should check and make sure that all power cables to the components inside the computer are properly connected. If you have already done this, you should try and test the power supply. There are multiple ways you can do this; the method I use for testing PSUs is with a multimeter, since that is what I have. However, if you happen to own a PSU tester, you can also use that, or you could use a different power supply.

As I said, the method I am most used to is using a multimeter, as I own one. Here is a link to the instructions I use: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/power-supply-test-multimeter.htm

If you have a multimeter you can use to test that, please do! Otherwise, if you own another PSU, try substituting that one in to see if the computer will work.

Good luck, and feel free to ask if you need anything else!

ZC

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,401 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 04:41 AM

Thanks all! My motherboard model is military class 4 Z87-G41 and cpu is i5 4690. And yes no fans turn on except the power button logo of every computer that glows when i plug the power in the psi as it is on. This is a custom computer by the way. Do you need to see any photos I can post on here of my computer??

Thanks again!!

Sincerely.

Jim

Power supply manufacturer and model? Other parts?

#8 Jimmy1231

Jimmy1231
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 11:22 PM

My psu model is antec VP450 and I have done a paperclip test which ruled it out as a factor to be broken and causing the computer to not start up. Plus, I can tell the computer is getting power because of the glowing light it gives off at its computer case power logo. Thank you!!!

Sincerely,

Jimmy

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,401 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 02:53 AM

My psu model is antec VP450 and I have done a paperclip test which ruled it out as a factor to be broken and causing the computer to not start up. Plus, I can tell the computer is getting power because of the glowing light it gives off at its computer case power logo. Thank you!!!

Sincerely,

Jimmy

Paperclip test only tells that PSU is able to start, it does not tell anything about voltages PSU supplies and so it's not proof that PSU is not broken.

And other parts?

#10 sasschary

sasschary

• 806 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 08:55 AM

Jimmy,

I must agree with Drillingmachine when he said that a

[p]aperclip test only tells that PSU is able to start[.]

I have previously worked with a computer that, like yours, had a working logo, and the PSU would turn on when using a paper clip on it. However, it still had problems that I discovered to be in the voltages being brought to the motherboard, which, in turn, did not allow the computer to turn on.

As such, I again suggest that you either test the PSU with a multimeter as in the article I linked earlier (http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/power-supply-test-multimeter.htm), or swap out your current PSU with a different known-good PSU.

Good luck!

ZC

Edited by sasschary, 29 July 2016 - 08:55 AM.

#11 Jimmy1231

Jimmy1231
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:52 PM

Currently I don't have a wire to short out pins 15 and 16 on the psu. Is there anything else i can use?

#12 sasschary

sasschary

• 806 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 08:00 AM

Jimmy,

Yep! You can use basically anything made of metal, a paper clip would probably be the easiest solution.

ZC

#13 Jimmy1231

Jimmy1231
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 05:10 PM

Thank you, my problem was the power supply!

#14 sasschary

sasschary

• 806 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 10:39 PM

You're very welcome, I'm glad to hear the problem was resolved!

ZC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users