Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq CQ60-211DX Won't boot

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DeepDivr1

DeepDivr1

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:25 PM

I have a Compaq CQ60-211DX which won't boot.  For some reason it's not recognizing the HD.  There is also an issue with the battery needing to be replaced.  Is it worth the time/effort.money to repair this or should I just recycle it?  I was thinking about installing chromebook onto it.

Edited by hamluis, 27 July 2016 - 03:27 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Psyho

Psyho

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:55 PM

have you tried to boot live cd?

#3 nkim5252

nkim5252

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:20 PM

Hi DeerDivr1,

First, I would check to make sure that the hard drive is seated properly. I'm not sure how you BIOS structure looks but is it being listed? If you go to your boot menu, does it show up? Have you tried pulling the lid off of the hard drive cage and checked to see if the drive is vibrating? Also, do you happen to have a spare laptop hard drive that you could test?

My first assumption would be that the drive is corrupted. If this is the case, you can scavenge any data you need using a Live CD.

Also regarding the laptop itself, perhaps it's time for an upgrade. There's only so much you can do with a 9 year old laptop, and today's hardware has surpassed what was available back then by miles. Purchasing an SSD may have somewhat of a noticeable effect. What you should ask yourself is: Are you happy with it's performance? If no, then it's time to put it up on Craigslist or even better, sell it to a recycling center.

Hope this helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users