Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When renaming files, is there a maxvalue set for files in a folder of 10001?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ForeverC

ForeverC

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:42 AM

Hello,

I'm running Windows 7 x64 on a desktop PC. I download pictures, and rename them using the rename process in Windows Explorer. When I rename pictures in the folder, they'll have the name like pic (1) pic (2) pic (3) and so on. I can rename pictures until I reach pic (10001). At that point, Explorer no longer automatically increments them. The renaming status bar turns red, and an error message says: "The file name(s) would be too long for the destination folder". I am however, able to manually enter numbers higher than 10001, so I'm not sure what the error message is referencing.

Is there a registry entry, or environmental variable that I can increase the value to be greater than 10001?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,599 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 07:58 PM

Unfortunately I don’t have the solution you are looking for

But this article might help you

Renaming multiple files https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc294618.aspx

--- The procedures look good to me

Two sentences caught my attention

File renaming happens very quickly, but might take a few seconds if you are renaming more than a thousand files.

Limit file name length to 31 characters

#3 ForeverC

ForeverC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 04:56 AM

Thank you CMPTRGY. I appreciate you taking time to help me. The link you provided references an app (Expression Studio 2.0) that has a batch rename feature. I'm going to look into it, and see if it will do what I need. I will let you know what I find. Thanks again.

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,599 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:58 AM

I found another article that might be helpful for you

How to batch rename files in Windows: 4 ways to rename multiple files

http://www.howtogeek.com/111859/how-to-batch-rename-files-in-windows-4-ways-to-rename-multiple-files/

#5 ForeverC

ForeverC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:05 AM

Perfect! That link gave me exactly what I needed. Decided to use the Bulk Rename Utility. Many thanks to you CMPTRGY, for your time and assistance. I truly appreciate it.

For anyone that would be interested in the utility, you can find it here: http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

This topic can be closed.

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,599 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 06:15 AM

Your welcome. Successful results are always good to receive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users